What's new

Need recommendations (1 Viewer)

Kevin_Kr

Supporting Actor
Hey all,
Its been awhile, helping one of my subcontractors out who is an electrician and its been awhile so need everyones help. Budget for the equipment would like to be around 3-3500 not including wire. Looking for decent receiver with video upconversion to HDMI, blue ray source(thinking PS3 to kill two birds with one stone) 5.1 speaker set up, 1080p projector, and 106 inch screen fixed or motorized, and remote(harmony 880) Would like it to be items that could pick up at an ultimate electronics if possible as get quite a good deal from them but not stuck on that. Can it be done? He's never had an av or theater system so what we consider average I am sure he would be enthralled with. Thanks for all your help

JamDawg

Grip
Real Name
JamesD
Spend the money on a good projector up front. It would be more expensive to upgrade the projector in the future if they were not happy with the first projector selected.

Epson Cinema UB $2295 1080p with great reviews for price point.
EPPLHC1080 | B&H Photo Video

Or Ben Q w5000 $2499 108op with great reviews for price point.

I would not go lower on a receiver than the one posted below. It is an older model yet has HDMI pass through and does DDHD/Master Audio/video up conversion.
Onkyo 705 $395
Onkyo | TX-SR705S THX Select2 Home Theater Receiver | TX-SR705S

These speakers are cheap yet have good reviews. The easiest part to upgrade in the future would be the speakers.
Fluance 5.1 speaker system $299.00
Fluance SXHTB+ 5 Speaker Surround Sound Home Theater System

PS3 $350 MP3/internet/games/B-Ray/DVD upconversion

Total $3339.00 maybe a little more if tax is applied and shipping.

This would be my setup at that price. This how ever does not include a screen but you have a few dollars left over to purchase one. I know I focused on the video mostly but i feel this would be the best place to start for the limited amount of money. With a thousand more in the near future you could add better speakers. I think anyone would be happy with this setup. It would sound good and would look great.

JamesD

JamDawg

Grip
Real Name
JamesD
If you want a cheap projector I would look at this one.

Optoma HD65 720p High Definition DLP Home Theater Projector

It would cost around $890 and would free up $1700 for different speakers than the ones I recomended earlier.

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
You'll have a hard time accomplishing what you want for under $3500.

JamDawg has some good suggestions, but those speakers are barely average and that receiver is as inexpensive as you want to go.

Things that haven't been included are the Subwoofer, remote, screen, and of course cables.

A decent subwoofer will cost you $200 - $400, the 880 remote will be $150 and even if you made your own screen, it'll cost you a couple of hundred for materials. That puts you closer to $4000 right there and it'd include components that you'd probably want to upgrade fairly soon.

If your set on those things, I'd up the budget to $5000 and get better equipment now.

Of course, if you have to stick to that budget, then I'd do what JamDawg recommends in his second post and go with a 720p projector instead. You can find several good ones (new and used) for $800 or so.

As he mentions, that would give you another $1700 to put towards the sub, screen, remote and improvements in either the receiver or speakers.

Kevin_Kr

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the suggestions, I may just have him go with the 720p projector, not sure as of yet. Will keep you updated

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks