What's new

Need recommendation for new speakers & sub for sound quality (1 Viewer)

Ok, I need some recommendations here guys. I'm only concern with sound quality, but I will be taking a step backwards here. This was my last system.

Headunit: Pioneer Premier DEH740MP
Speakers: JL Audio XR570csi
Amp: JL Audio 300/4
Sub: JL Audio 10W3v2

Small, but concentrated on sound quality. I no longer have my speakers, sub, nor amp. Don't ask why. Long story. So I want to buy a new system, but I can't cough up $600-700 right now for speakers and subs. So for right now, I just need speaker recommendations concentrating on sound quality.

My budget on speakers is $150 or under. I have a convertible, so I would prefer components (lose too much pressure with top down).

I don't want Pioneer REV speakers cause I had them before, tried them out again, and after owning JL Audio XRs, it's too much of a step backwards.

I plan on listening sometime this week to the follow:
Infinity Reference 5x7 components
Infinity Kappa 5x7 coaxial
Alpine S-Type 5x7 component
Alpine R-Type 5x7 coaxial

I've been reading some consumer reviews and some people are saying that the Alpine's tweeter are too quite. I would prefer something that sounds more natural. Well, any recommendations? I appreciate it.

Denton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Denton
You might check eBay for "recent" model MB Quart components. I see new sets in that price range frequently. The result will be a huge improvement over the coaxials you've listed.

I spend too much time in the car to listen to a bad stereo...

Denton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Denton
I'm uncertain what you are asking, Juan. :frowning: For what it's worth, a quick search on eBay showed a new set of MB Quart REFERENCE RCE-216 components for $159. This includes upgraded crossovers.

I listened to a pair of MB Quart Reference components today. Those are REALLY nice! A whole lot better than my last JL Audio XRs. I really want to listen to some Infinity Kappa's or some Alpine R-Type, but I haven't found a place that carries them yet. If I don't find that, I may just go with MB Quart.

StephenHa

Second Unit
quart has nice stuff, also check out pheonix gold, and rockfords fanatic series (rockford owns mb quart now)

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
I'll second the CDT CL-61 recommendation. I have a set in my Dakota and they sound very good. I would recommend silk tweeters as they sound much smoother and not near as harsh/bright as the metal dome tweeters.

Jason Fulton

Agent
Alpine SPX-177a
Resonant Engineering RE Components
CDT's 61 aren't bad
Check out some of Diamonds stuff as well.

I would suggest going to a shop and listening to some sets, see what you like, then buy them online.

I got those same JL 5x7" XRs for my truck. They are by far the best speakers I have ever had in a vehicle. Simply amazing.

I also have the Pioneer 7400MP, JL 8w3v2 subs, and Alpine amps. Its a really sweet SQ system.

I got my XRs off ebay for $200 including shipping. You might wanna check there. Last I looked the same guy was still selling more of them.

Joey_N

Agent
Don't think you're going to find top-notch components for under $150, other via grey-market Ebay purchases. Else look for last-year versions, maybe you can find a good deal used on a high-end brand.

If SQ is such a high priority, I would suggest bumping that price to about $200 or so.

You may want to visit a dedicated forum like Sounddomain (SD). The choices above are pretty good (the higher-end CDTs w/ the silk tweets are very neutral & nice). I'd recommend the CDT EF series (like the EF-61 or EF-61CFI/25) over the CL line though.

On SD's forum is an authorized CDT dealer that sells them for outstanding prices. Screen name is djdilliodon. I've PM'd him several occasions, will be very honest about various makes/models (i.e. who has better tweets, midbass, etc). If not a member already, sign up & PM the guy, else e-mail at [email protected]
:)

No, I'm not affiliated with that person or business. :D

Good lord there's a lot of people here that don't read. I never said I was looking for top end or competition or anything better than great for my car. I just said I was looking for some speakers under $150 for sound quality. I knew I was stepping backwards, but just wanted some suggestions. Thanks to those who helped.
I already bought my speakers.

Joey_N

Agent
Little defensive?, relax it's X-Mas :)

When did I ever say competition-quality? All I'm suggesting is that SQ comes at a price, and are typically associated with higher-end (i.e. top-notch) speakers (which comes with better tweets and crossovers). Then again, SQ is in the eye (or ear) of the beholder. I've been researching for SQ 6.5 components myself on a budget, & have listened to many of these brands lately.

The CDT EF-61 (not competition-quality but great for those on a budget) you could probably could have gotten for roughly $150 shipped from that dealer on SD, and would have owned anything in that price range new for SQ (not bought from Ebay), plus would have gotten warranty support since from an authorized dealer. Lastly, it's better than the JL XRs as well.

Eh, doesn't really matter. This is your thread afteralls :D

Assuming you went with the Quarts, a good choice if you did. Enjoy 'em!

WilliamPC

Agent
Any reason you want 5x7's when any decent installer can probably make 5.25" comps or even 6.5" comps fit with little hassle??

Look for Cadence Neos on ebay. These are awesome speakers and somewhat of a sleeper set. They normally retail for $299+ yet I got a set for $99 shipped. Trust me, the sound great and better than the CDT CL-61a's they replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks