What's new

need recomendations - movies about dreams (1 Viewer)

KyleK

Second Unit
Dreamscape is good, also the Nightmare on Elm Street series, Altered States, and Total Recall(sorta) come to mind.

chris rick

Second Unit
Waking Life is one of the most challenging films I've seen in recent memory, and it deals with all things dream related.

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
Mulholland Dr. is a beautiful and haunting meditation on dreams that not only comments on them but channels them. Not for youngsters as there are about 2 lesbian scenes (I preferred skipping over them).

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
Akira Kurosawa's Dreams was the first thing that popped into my head (despite having never seen it).

Does that make me a more "cultured" movie fan since an Akira Kurosawa film was the first thing in my mine instead of the more obvious Nightmare on Elm Street films? :)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Celine and Julie Go Boating

Among other things it explores how dreams can be like theater rehearsals/performances. Very subtle, imaginative and entertaining, and probably nothing like any movie you've ever seen. A personal favorite.

Not yet available on DVD, unfortunately, but it does get shown frequently around here, anyway.

Ted

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Vanilla Sky - I'm one of the few that loves this film
The Thirteenth Floor - more of a Matrix-type scenario but very dream-like in many parts
Star Trek Generations

Sean Cauley

Stunt Coordinator
I second the vote for Mulholland Dr. The whole thing feels like a dream, and is best interpreted in terms of dreams (much was written about it in these terms at the time). It's David Lynch, so it's hard to wrap your brain around, and most of the strange moments continue on unexplained. It blew me away, though. (And I like the sexual scenes, though there is one nudity-free dialogue scene between a man and a woman that is probably the hottest thing in the movie, and a big part of why I really like Naomi Watts.)

What's amazing about this movie is that the dreamy stuff really only came as a result of the film getting rejected as a TV pilot (it was supposed to be the two-hour first episode of an ABC series); with the story's future in serial television wiped away, Lynch decided to take a completely different approach to the material, and turned out one of my favorite movies of the last few years.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter

I don't think so, Chad. I thought Nightmare first, but it had already been mentioned, Dreams was my second choice.
I like the Mulholland Dr. Mention.
Has anyone said Lost Highway? There's another twisted little gem.
Or how about Jacob's Ladder?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks