What's new

Need quick help - Onkyo SR608 v. Sony STRDA4400ES v. ??? (1 Viewer)

Roy_F

Auditioning
I am getting a new HT system today, and am befuddled on which receiver to get. I like the looks of the Sony 4400's features (like Sirius and I-pod compatibility) but haven't seen anyone tout it. Everybody seems to like Onkyos, but a lot complain about clicking problems.

So I need quick recommendations and guidance on a great receiver? I am almost exclusively a movie-phile (buying an LG 55LH90 LED tv today). I dont use my HT for music much at all. I'm looking for something to maximize my home movie experience.

So far i've been considering:

Sony STRDA4400ES

Denon 2310

Onkyo SR6008

but I'm not married to them. I just want the best within my midrange budget!

Thanks!

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I'm one that likes Onkyo. Good bang for the buck.

I use a Harmony remote with my system, and I hear clicks also (like when going from tv to blu ray, it turns off the cable box, turns on the BD player, switches the receiver from CBL to DVD, etc.). They don't bother me though. They seem to me to be the sounds of things turning on and off, switching sources, and stuff like that. They don't just happen randomly. I think they're there to let you know that things are happening like they're supposed to. Like I said, they don't just happen randomly,and I'm not having any problems, so the clicking doesn't bother me.

Good luck with whatever you get.

Roy_F

Auditioning
Thanks, Ed. I think I'm sold on the Onkyo. I'm a bit concerned about the heating issue, but I'm going to try to setup my components so the Onkyo is in the open air, and not in a position to roast any of the other components. What do you do to avoid heating problems with yours?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Mine isn't closed in, so it gets good air circulation in the room. It's on an open tv stand. If you use a rack, I'd put it on the top. See mine in this pic. It barely gets warm.

Roy_F

Auditioning
Nice! I plan to set mine up in an open rack as well, so no worries there. I had one salesman tell me that this model can get so hot you can "fry an egg on it." So I was a tad bit nervous about it. Now, not so much.

As an aside, I opted on the Sony BDP-S570 blu-ray player. The salesman was pushing me to get the Sony N460, but the reviews on it just aren't as good.

Thanks so much for the pic. And is that an Animaniac I see there?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Originally Posted by Roy_F /forum/thread/301088/need-quick-help-onkyo-sr608-v-sony-strda4400es-v#post_3696946
Yes. I found it in my yard years ago. The neighbor's kid threw stuff in my yard all the time. I told him to stop, but he wouldn't. So I kept that piece............

Owen W

Auditioning
The new Onkyos (X08 models) have a 5" fan in the top that helps keep them cool. The fan is dead silent, so don't worry about a vacuum cleaner noise coming from your rack.

Roy_F

Auditioning
Oh, outstanding! I hope the 608 works out well for me. I'm pretty jazzed about it, since I hear such great things. I'm sure it takes a phD to setup, but hopefully with the help of all the threads here, I'll be able to get it working. is there a setup thread for Onkyo 608 owners?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
One thing Onkyo owners like about them is that they are pretty easy to setup and use. The 608 is a newer model than mine, and I don't know if they changed and made it harder, but I wouldn't think so.

Good luck and enjoy!

Roy_F

Auditioning
I will, but I have to get my speakers in place, right. My room was setup at a 45 degree angle. Now we're turning it to face N/S. So, I have to rearrange my speakers, run some new wires, etc., to get them into final location. THEN I'll do the Audyssey test. (Right?)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks