What's new

Need quick help on speaker wire (what Gauge do I need) (1 Viewer)

cscmtp

Grip
Real Name
Christopher
Hi guys. I just learned from our builders that I need to order my wire for my speakers TODAY and I'm not sure what type of wire/gauge I should get. Can anyone give me some recommendations?

I have a 15x27 home theater room and will have the center console, front left and front right speakers at one end of the room, and all my other components at the other end of the room.

I think I read somewhere that 16 gauge might be good for 25-50ft of wire, 18 gauge for 0-25 ft, and 14 gauge for 50+.

Does that sound about right? Anyone have a good resource to buy from? Any suggestions GREATLY appreciated.

My audio equipment is as follows:

Onkyo TX-SR608
Klipsch RC-52 II
Klipsch RW-12d
Klipsch RF-52 II B
Klipsch RF-52 II B
Klipsch RB-51 II

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I generally use 14 gauge. I've tried 12 gauge in the past and it was just too damn thick. 16 gauge is fine, too - I don't think many folks here would recommend going any thinner than 16.

The distance ratings you were quoted, IMO, don't amount to any discernible difference. Consider shopping for speaker wire at www.monoprice.com.

Make sure it's all CL-2 rated for inwall use.

Good luck.

cscmtp

Grip
Real Name
Christopher
the builder and electrician came by and recommended 12 gauge. Since they are comfortable using it, I assume that's good? I can get 500 total feet for $123 shipped in 2 days from Amazon (made my Raptor) Sound good?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
That's not a bad price (it's cheaper than the same product at newegg.com), but I can't dig up any conclusive evidence that the wire is CL-2 rated for in-wall applications. Code requires CL-2 ratings for all in-wall wiring.

You can get a 500' spool of CL-2 12 gauge from monoprice (albeit for a bit more than $123).

Edit: Whoops - I missed the monoprice 500' spool of 14 gauge CL-2. With shipping, that might come closer to the $123)

If you have 12 gauge in the walls, you can always use 14 gauge wire for the "patch" cables that you may have from receiver to wall and wall to speakers.

It's your call if you want to go with CL-2 or not. The electrician MAY install it, but then again, he may not. Might want to check with him before you pull the trigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks