What's new

Need proof that progressive scan is better... (for J. 6pack) (1 Viewer)

Patrick G

Second Unit
Can someone please point me to a great visual comparison between progressive scan and interlaced dvd so that I can show my joe sixpack neighbor the advantages of prog. scan?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'm not sure there's any one scene. Most of the improvements with p/s are in numerous small touches that add up to an overall superior picture. Also, since most display devices that accept progressive scan automatically line-double an interlaced input, it's hard to get a true A/B comparison of p/s vs. interlaced. What you're really getting is an A/B comparison of p/s vs. your set's line doubler.

Here's one small example you can try: Play the scene in Saving Private Ryan where the care approaches Mrs. Ryan's farmhouse to deliver the bad news. Focus on the grille work at the front of the car. If your set's line doubler isn't top-notch, there will be a lot of aliasing in the grille. With p/s it should all but disappear.

M.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I remember hearing Star Trek Insurrection had a good test for P/S in the opening scene with objects atop a bridge or rooftop. On a P/S the objects are clear, while on interlaced the objects are just artifacts.

Another test I tried was in fast and the furious during the final street race where you see the truck's grille.

Stephane

Stunt Coordinator
Ok here are two sceen that you could look at.

If you have Gladiator, the intro where the bsttle is taking place is one good sceen to look at in interlace and then progressive. Look specifically for the sceen at the start of the fight where the catapults are launching things. look at the trees that are lying half down on the battlefield. I think that they are willows. On the none progressive version the trees lying hald down are choppy,. Now flip it to progressive scan, the trees are alot less choppy.

The second sceen I would look at would be 5th element. At the beginning again when the kid comes in on the camel. He goes up this wooden ramp. if you look at the ramp, you will notice that there are lines that are choppy once more in none progerssive. now flip it to progressive scan.

I have noticed though through this sceen, it can actually maake you chose which progressive player you want to buy. Some do have better chips then others. I tried the 91 from Panasonic, tried the 5700 from Toshiba the 700 from Sony. Now they did improve this sceen, but not to rthe level that the 9000 ES did from sony.

Now that is a player....

Stef.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Second the recommendation for the Fifth Element. In that same scene if you look at the sloped outlines of the tent, you can see stair-stepping when line-doubling is not too good (as when it lacks 3:2 pulldown detection in the film material).

DmitriP

Grip
Well if you have to find certain parts of certain movies, I don't think "Joe 6pack" would see the value.

The first thing I did after I got my Toshiba HDTV WS was get a Progressive player. Side-by-side with my non-progressive, switching back and forth, I couldn't tell a difference.

I gave up after 30 minutes.

Is progressive better? Sure. Is it worth spending a few hundred bucks for a new player? IMHO, no.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Well if you have to find certain parts of certain movies, I don't think "Joe 6pack" would see the value.

Is progressive better? Sure. Is it worth spending a few hundred bucks for a new player? IMHO, no.
Dmitri,

Progressive scan DVD players no longer cost a few hundred dollars more. Even a player like Panasonics RP91 can be had for around $500 WITH DVD Audio to boot. These days progressive scan has become more common and it would be almost silly to not get one with progressive scan, IMO.

Dan Hine

Steve_Snodgrass

Auditioning
Dan starts to make an excellent point, then goes astray by choosing one of the more expensive progressive players. You can get a brand new Panasonic RP56 for about $200 (at Crutchfield for example). This doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the RP91, but is still an excellent player, and actually has better deinterlacing.

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Shankar, thanks for pointing to the thread with the ToyStory example! I was fearing retyping it. -)

The real question is will J6P be able to see the differences you are pointing out. =)

Patrick G

Second Unit
And if you can get the RP56 for $200 at Crutchfield, you can get it for about half that price elsewhere online. Crutchfield is waaaay overpriced.

Jeff_E

Grip
I got the TOSHIBA SD4700 Progressive Scan , DVD Audio/MP3/CD/Video-CD/CD-R ... for a little under $230. DVD audio is well worth it, sounds amazing. This player is a good one, I have had no problems with a chroma bug as some have stated they have had with this model.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks