What's new

Need new tire soon (1 Viewer)

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I had a tire blow out on the way to work this morning. It cannot be repaired/patched, so I'll probably be purchasing 2 new tires tomorrow.

I've got Michelin's on there now and they've been great. They are the X-One model that was out a couple years ago. I can't really afford the equivalent model presently, so I'm looking at other options. I've looked at some of the other Michelins and a sales guy recommended Toyo.

Do you guys have other suggestions for tires? I'm looking for less than $100/tire including installation and balancing.

If it matters, I have a 2000 Dodge Intrepid that uses 225/60R16 and I need a good all-season tire.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
Maybe you can find Dunlop tires for cheaper or Kelly tires. Both are excellent tires that I have purchased in the past. You'll probably have to do some calling around to see if they can get them. Just looking at tirerack.com shows that Dunlop makes a lot of different tires in your size. I'm sure Kelly makes them as well.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Seth:

What I would not recommend are Dunlop SP Sport 4000 A/S. Wet traction was bad, snow traction even worse. Cornering stability was below average. These came OE when I bought my car and were eventually replaced (at 40K; should have done it sooner) with Kumho ECSTA HP4 716s.

If you don't need to worry about snow, I would suggest the Yokohama AVS dB S2; if snow is an issue, then the Bridgestone Potenza G009 is worth a look. I bought my tires through The Tire Rack (with the Road Hazard plan) and used one of their recommended installers. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
I would have to second the Potenzas. I had them on my car and they were MUCH better than the Goodyears that they replaced!!!

SethH

Senior HTF Member

I'm in Connecticut for the next two weeks. Snow is a concern for me. I don't see too much of it at school in Virginia, but I'm in the mountains of VA, so we definitely see some. Wet traction is also very important to me.

I will definitely look into the Potenzas.

I'm open to more suggestions . . .

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

Some others you might want to research: the Continental ContiExtremeContact and the Kumho ECSTA HP4 716 (I'm using the latter). If you're willing to up your budget to ~$115/tire, the Michelin HydroEdge may be the best bang for your buck as A/S tires go. I recommend heading on over to Tire Rack's website, where you can do a side-by-side comparison of tires, as well as read customers' reviews.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to get the Michelin HyroEdge. The tires I have on the front right now are the Michelin X-One's which were the top-of-the-line before the HydroEdge, but I just can't put that kind of money toward tires right now.

The Bridgestone Potenza G009's are looking like a winner right now. Tirerack has them at $74/tire which is pretty good and in the range I was hoping to spend.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I was driving to work one morning and heard a sound that I thought was something stuck to my wheel, going round and round. I pulled over...turns out it was a strip of rubber that came off completely around the wheel. They say it wasn't a defect in the tire, but couldn't explain it either...

http://dark7.org/gallery/misc/aao

Can anyone?

Curtis Lotter

Stunt Coordinator
I second the recommendation for Toyo's

I did a lot of research about 6 months ago and everything led to Toyo Proxes. I couldn't find them locally so ended up getting them from edgeracing.com. I got 4 215/55/16's (Proxes 4) $377.28 to my door.

These are by far the best tires I have ever had. And amazingly some of the cheapest.I used to be able to easily smoke my old crappycooper tires starting off with my automatic Maxima, now it's all but impossible. Fantastic sticking power dry, the best I have had in the rain, and from limited experience good in the snow.

Good luck

Curt

DanHal

Stunt Coordinator
Seth,

Also, when replacing only two tires on a vehicle, be sure to put the new tires on the rear. If the fronts have more tread than the rears, the rears will tend to lose traction before the fronts, causing a potentially deadly loss of traction.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info Dan. What happens when the tires need to be rotated? Would I still want the new ones on the back?

I also know learned today that they have to be the same speed rating as the two that are on the front.

I decided to go with the Goodyear ComforTred. The speed rating issue narrowed my options quickly and this was cheaper than the Michelin HydroEdge.

DanHal

Stunt Coordinator
Seth,

Well, most tires should be rotated every 7,000 miles or so. I usually just go every other oil change or so. You generally will want the tires with the most grip on the rear. If your tires are not directional, the best thing to do would be to probably just switch sides, of each set of tires, new and old. Also, never mount directional tires in the wrong direction.

The ideal situation would be to replace all four tires at the same time. But, I know how much tires can cost, so sometimes that is not possible. Just remember to always keep the best rubber on the rear, and maybe replace the remaining old tires in a few weeks.

Dan

SethH

Senior HTF Member

I'd love to be able to replace all four at the same time, but my front tires still have another 40,000 miles of tread on them The reason I'm having to get two new tires is because of a blown tire that can't be fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks