Need multichannel amp advice!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Michael_V, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Michael_V

Michael_V Second Unit

I'm in the process of renovating my HT. Use is about 50/50 movies and music, with sound quality very important to me. I particularly love the middle and upper registers where female vocals inhabit. Sound should be dynamic, silky, and smooth.

Right now I am using an Anthem AVM20 that is soon to be replaced with an AVM50v (on backorder!).

Paradigm Reference Studios all around are being replaced with the Energy Veritas line.

My subwoofer is an SVS PB13 Ultra.

The amp is a Parasound 1205A THX 2 5-channel rated at 140W/channel at 8 ohms but I am considering changing this out, as well. Are there any other amps people like better than this particular Parasound or is this as good as it gets under $5000? On the low end (for price), I have been considering the Emotiva XPA-5, although I'm not sure this would be a step up from the Parasound. On the high end (though a bit out of my price range) is the McIntosh MC207.

Any insights/opinions would be greatly appreciated!

: )

2. Michael_V

Michael_V Second Unit

Throw an Emotiva MPS-2 7 channel amp into the mix. Anyone have any idea how this compares to the Parasound 1205A?

3. Michael_V

Michael_V Second Unit

Or an Anthem Statement A5. Krell Showcase 5...

4. Michael_V

Michael_V Second Unit

Sunfire TGA-7200?

No one?

5. Michael_V

Michael_V Second Unit

I ended up with a Bryston 5 channel amp if anyone is curious. The Parasound will be up for sale shortly....

6. knaik

knaik Auditioning

I would be interested in the parasound.

I'm local in Jax [​IMG]

7. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

That was quick, I was going to suggest looking for the McIntosh on the used market. Bryston makes good amps, although the sound is very different from McIntosh.

8. Michael_V

Michael_V Second Unit

Dan, I guess it was quick! I did look at the used market almost exclusively for all the amps I considered, including McIntosh. Several reviews particularly liked the combination of Bryston and Energy Veritas, and I think I got a good price. Will probably consider McIntosh for the next upgrade cycle (5-10 yrs) when I get speakers (and a listening room) that will benefit.