What's new

Need Movie Recommendations For Very Religious Person (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
I second the recomendation for Dogma. Also check out American Pie/American Pie 2, South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut, Boys Don't Cry, and The Exorcist.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Toy Story is an atheist movie.

Ben Hur had a homosexual relationship with Messalla as a youth.

Harry Potter is anti-Christian Wiccan propaganda.

And of course Top Gun is a gay themed movie.

Seems to me that movies seem to be as subject to interpretation after the fact by folks with specific agendas as the bible itself is. ;)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
There is no mention either in the novel or film version of Ben Hur to suggest they were lovers, so I don't know where that one came from.

The Harry Potter thing, well, they call anything that shows magic use in a positive light that.

The Top Gun thing I've always felt was more of a joke than anything else.

However the case for Toy Story is far more supportable, as it relies on themes present throughout the film, as well as stated views by its authors, rather than knee-jerk prejudices or a shirtless oiled-up volleyball game. It would be better to call TS a secular humanist film for it doesn't specifically address the existance of a deity

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Going back to something someone posted earlier about the Matrix, I think there were a lot of concepts and biblical references throughout the movie which a lot of Christians found appealing about the movie, that's all. Anyways, I'll recommend 3 Miyazaki movies which are completely non-offensive but wonderful nonetheless: Spirited Away, Castle of Cagliostro, and Kiki's Delivery Service.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Jeff: Imagine that :b Guess I'll have to watch it again today with that perspective in mind.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Joss Whedon is far from the only writer on Toy Story. He is credited (in the commentary) with coming up with a lot of the basic structure of the movie, but I'd say director/producer John Lasseter's perspective would be more important here.

Delusional people behave in odd ways, but I see little in the movie itself to single out religion as the targetted delusion (not that is necessarily is a delusion).

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator
The "atheistic" interpretation of Toy Story could easily be turned on its head:

Buzz Lightyear is a misguided atheist trying to make himself more important than he really is.

Woody understands that there is nothing more important than the love of the "Master," in this case Andy, and successfully shows Buzz that, in the end, it is only love that really matters. He really is "only" a toy, and a toy is a beautiful thing to be, just as a human is really only a human, not a god, and a human is a beautiful thing to be.

By the end of the film Buzz has learned true humility (seeing oneself as one really is), and Truth (there is something bigger than us that loves us).

I guess it all depends on your point of view and whether you think theists or atheists are delusional. :)

It also shows how powerful this "children's movie" really is.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Interesting points about Toy Story, including Nick's. I am not yet ready to completely agree with either but different perspective are always welcome.
Woody: You are a TOY!!! You aren't the real Buzz Lightyear, you're an action figure! YOU are a CHILD'S PLAYTHING!

Buzz: You're a sad, strange little man, and you have my pity.

Do conversations like that sound familiar?
Oh yeah. If I never heard that kind of condescension again, I would die a happy man.

--
Holadem - and end up in hell, I know.

James_M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
What movie did you end up showing? You really shouldn't restrict yourself to movies within the past 1-2 years. Some of the movie's you other guys have been suggesting like Last Temptation etc.. have been horrible.

Spiderman
Attack of the Clones
Monster's INC
Tarzan

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Buzz Lightyear is a misguided atheist trying to make himself more important than he really is.

Woody understands that there is nothing more important than the love of the "Master," in this case Andy, and successfully shows Buzz that, in the end, it is only love that really matters. He really is "only" a toy, and a toy is a beautiful thing to be, just as a human is really only a human, not a god, and a human is a beautiful thing to be.
There is one flaw in your analogy, Nick. In the movie, Buzz never denies the existance of Andy. ;)

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator
Good point, Richard! I guess if I wanted to push the analogy (which I will do here for the fun of it, even though I think both arguments verge into the "reading too much into it" category) I would say the following:

Buzz doesn't exactly deny Andy's existence, but he does ignore it, which a theist might argue amounts to the same thing. Just as Buzz in his delusion tries to communicate with a star command that does not exist, he effectively filters out Andy until Woody helps him remember the name scratched on the bottom of his boot.

In the same way, a theist might argue, an atheist who begins to believe might start seeing more and more signs of a divine presence that he overlooked or ignored before.

Your point is well taken, though. If the makers of the movie intended it to be a parable for theism, they probably would have been more overt about Buzz not acknowledging Andy.

It sure makes for a fun exercise in analysis and logic, though! With school starting tomorrow, I find myself thinking it might be fun to divide my students up into sides later this year and have them debate this very issue. Fun for me, educational for them!

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
The "atheistic" interpretation of Toy Story could easily be turned on its head:
Or its simply a movie about toys. Perhaps "G" rated movies should be labeled, "No one over the age of 11 may be admited because the've lost the innocence of a child and have to analyze everything in a frame work of their own choosing to make themselves appear intelligent"

Back on topic; did anyone mention Stargate ?
Todd

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
What movie did you end up showing? You really shouldn't restrict yourself to movies within the past 1-2 years. Some of the movie's you other guys have been suggesting like Last Temptation etc.. have been horrible.

Spiderman
Attack of the Clones
Monster's INC
Tarzan
Biting....tongue....head....may.....explode.....

:D

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The Onion's AVClub section is real journalism, and widely respected in the entertainment industry for fine, top quailty interviews and columns

It's the "news" that would need confirmation.

James_M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
Biting....tongue....head....may.....explode.....
Hey, I don't mind if you let it out. Attack of the Clones, PG, not the greatest movie but it's recent and it entertains. The Last Temptation of Christ??! If you think it's acceptable to show Jesus lusting after and having sex with Mary Magdalene, let me ask you, what cult do you belong to?

derek

Second Unit
To push Nick's analogy a bit further I find the argument of self worth and purpose quite convincing. The toys ultimately find value and self worth only in the relationship with Andy their owner. Apart from that...their isolated self seeking quests ultimately don't satify the purpose for which they were created. A diamond is valuable because a person finds its valuable. Wow...who knew Toy Story has so many theological implications! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks