Need Movie Recommendations For Very Religious Person

Discussion in 'DVD' started by James Edward, Aug 27, 2003.

1. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

We're having someone over for dinner and a movie on Friday.
    I'm looking for some adult recommendations that don't have a lot of curse words and sex scenes. They don't need to be children's films, and I would prefer them to be no more than 1-2 years old

To give you an idea, she's been over twice before and has seen U-571 and The Matrix. Great sound and picture is a necessity. For example, LOTR-TTT is on my list of possibilities, but at 3 hours might just be too long for a dinner guest.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

Shadowlands or The Apostle would be my recommendation. Both are in my DVD list if you need a brief description.

3. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    If you're willing to go to an older film, I'm sure they will find "A Man for All Seasons" to be absolutely wonderful.

4. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Frequency might be a good choice. The DVD is fine picture-wise, but the content of the film doesn't make it ideal for demo material if that's part of your goal.

If you haven't seen the film, it's sort of a murder mystery with a strong family element to it. I don't remember strong language, nudity, drug use, or anything like that. There is some violence, but it certainly wouldn't be more than what you would find in the Matrix, and probably not more than an average cop show on TV.

Maybe the Patriot, though that one approaches 3 hours. It's been a while, but it might be closer to two-and-a-half hours.

Signs and Unbreakable are others I might recommend, though Unbreakable does seem to fall into the "love it or hate it" category. Some find it too slow. Signs might be a good choice, as it has a strong element of religious faith to it.

All of those are just a distraction, though, from my main recommendation. I really hope you'll consider giving Frequency a go if online summaries interest you. It's really an under-appreciated little gem, as far as I'm concerned.

5. Simon Basso

Simon Basso Stunt Coordinator

Rabbit-Proof Fence. It's short, completely inoffensive, well-made and has an excellent music-based soundtrack. It's also a fine film.

6. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

I think Frequency would indeed be an excellent choice.

7. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

While Frequency is a good choice, Signs is an excellent film dealing with religion and faith. If you/they have never seen Signs, this is a must. It has a great, almost Hitchcockian horror story (not religious, more sci-fi) interwoven with the real message, which is about faith. Also, the picture on Signs is above average (not reference, but good) and the soundtrack has great subtle effects as well as some genuinely scary moments.

8. derek

derek Second Unit

Check out www.screenit.com . Excellent resource to examine all the possibly objectionable content. BTW I was disappointed in U571 as it had alot of GDs. As for some new recommendations Signs, 20000 Leagues under the Sea, LOTR or TTT, The Rookie, Spider Man, Disney fare (Treasure Planet), Jurassics Parks, Xmen, Spirit: Stallion of Cimarron, Star Trek:Nemesis, Star Wars EP1&2 for a few.
    Blockbuster.com has a decent 100 family films recommendation at
    http://www.blockbuster.com/bb/articl...T-710,00.html?

9. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    I would reccommend the G-Rated The Straight Story.

It's quite a feat nowadays to find a G-rated film that's not geared towards children. It's a fine film and you won't cringe in front of your guests once, guarenteed!

10. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    The General (Buster Keaton).

11. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Exactly. I'm probably the one being overly prudish, but I myself want to be able to relax and enjoy. I'll give her a choice of the above, and see what she wants to watch.

Thanks again.

12. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Anything from Paul Thomas Anderson...

13. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

14. Simon_Lepine

Simon_Lepine Supporting Actor

Anything by Kevin Smith, especially Dogma! [​IMG]

15. chris rick

chris rick Second Unit

The Last Temptation of Christ--and I mean that sincerely. For anyone who is truly "religious" this film represents one of the best explanations of Christ's life and how we can relate to it as individuals.

16. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    The Winslow Boy or The Spanish Prisoner. Surprisingly, both of these David Mamet-directed films have no bad language, nudity or violence, and I have very religious friends who loved them.

17. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I agree with Chris as to The Last Temptation of Christ, but be forewarned that many Christians feel (incorrectly in my view) that this is an heretical work.

If your guests would be amenable to a silent film, The Passion of Joan of Arc is one of the greatest films ever made on any subject. The same director also made another highly recommended film, Ordet—this is a film almost solely concerned with religion and man’s relation to God.

For non-Christian religious films you might check out Kundun, about the search for and coming of age of a new Dalai Lama

18. TedT

TedT Second Unit

Signs

19. Steven Good

Steven Good Second Unit

Steven
    Hmmm, I supppose Life of Brian shouldn't be on the list...[​IMG]

20. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer