What's new

Need lighting idea(s) for back patio! (1 Viewer)

Patrick G

Second Unit
When I use the overhead light I get too many bugs, not to mention it's not very pleasing. I was thinking of wrapping the post there in Christmas-style lights, but can you find those anywhere during this time of year?

Any other lighting ideas for this area?

mylan

Screenwriter
Do you really need lights out there? We have a screened in porch with the exact same fan/light combo and we never turn it on unless one wants to read or if we have company because lights from the inside provide enough illumination, kinda like mood lighting.
You might try to find a different globe with a yellow-ish color, not pleasing either but bugs tend to stay away from that frequency of light, or, try Home Depot, Lowes, or patio stores for those outdoor lights you hang out for parties like those red chili pepper shaped ones.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay

LewB

Screenwriter
You can find yellow 'bug lamps' to put in the fixture at either HD or Lowes. My experience with those things has not been good. Yeah, the bulb is yellow, but the light then reflects off the siding (yours appears to be light grey or white) and the bugs show up anyway.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

Think it's called rope lighting. You could spiral them up that post and make it look pretty cool. I'd suggest staining/painting that pole first for a more "finished" effect.

Did you see that kegerator thread ? You look like a prime candidate ;)

Patrick G

Second Unit
If I do rope lighting down the post, should I fasten it to the post in any way (other than at the top and bottom - to keep the even spiral spacing), and if so, what would I use?

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
please do not put rope lighting on the post, unless you want people to laugh at you.

If you want to use rope lighting, but it up by the ceiling, then maybe conceal it a tad (can't think of the word for that at the moment..)

Otherwise, a romantic type setting (not what you want if sitting out there alone) is just use lots of candles.

Or like stated, the yeollow 'bug' lights should help cut down on bugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks