What's new

Need Info - B&W VM1 "Leisure Monitors" (1 Viewer)

Robert George

Screenwriter
I was reading a recent article that looked at THX Ultra 2 and the way the THX spec has changed. THX EX originally called for dipole surrounds on the side and back positions in a home EX system. Ultra 2 has changed this recommendation to dipoles on the sides and monopoles (direct radiating) at the back surround positions.

I have been considering just this thing lately so this article provided all the impetus I needed to dutifully bebop down to my local hi-fi emporium to audition some small monitor-type speakers to use for the back surround channels in my EX system. I found the B&W LM1 indoor/outdoor mini monitors that appeared to fill the bill nicely (I have neither the mounting space nor the budget for either the Nautilus or CDM surround speakers).

I've just finished replacing the Atlantic Technology 354SR dipole surrounds I was using on the back channels with the B&Ws and I'm very pleased with the result. So pleased, in fact, that I am now considering replacing the ATs on the side surround channels. The LM1 is not exactly what I would like from a cosmetic standpoint in these positions, but B&W also has a slimline speaker, the VM1, in the same line as the LM1 and is said to be voice matched with the LM1.

If anyone has any personal experience with this speaker, please offer any comments on performance, bearing in mind this is to be a surround speaker, not a front channel speaker, and how it looks in an "on wall" placement.

Bry_DD

Second Unit
I have the LM1 for my side and center rear surround and I'm happy with them. Easy to mount and they sounds great on movies and specially for music. Hope that helps.

Robert George

Screenwriter
Yeah, I talked to a dealer in another city and they also say the VM1 is superior to the LM1. In my system, where the speakers have to go, the LM1 works better on the back channels but not on the sides. The VM1 will work just about perfectly for size, mounting, and cosmetics on the sides where they will not on the back mounting position.

I think I have enough confidence in the VM1 speaker now that I will have the local dealer order a pair for me first thing Monday morning. The LM1s will remain on the back surround channels as I am perfectly satisfied with both looks and performance for these speakers in this mounting space.

Thanks for adding your comments, fellas. I'll probably post something on the VM1/LM1 combination as surrounds when I have had a chance to do some critical listening.

Warren_Sc

Second Unit
RG-

Did you get the VM1s? How do they sound? I am considering a set of on-wall speakers for my L/C/R. Have you compared these to the Gallow speakers (spheres?) or Acoustic-Research Phantom's? I already have an SVS 25-31 PCi.

Thanks for the help.

PS Are you officially reviewing these on your site?

Robert George

Screenwriter
Pretty good timing at resurrecting this thread. It so happens the VM1s showed up just yesterday and I got them installed last night.

I have to do some critical listening, but my first impression is these are some very nice speakers. Surprisingly good, in fact. Although I am using them only for surrounds, with a small sub, the VM1 could easily make up a modest 5.1 system. B&W actually markets the VM1 as a "do it all" speaker and has designed in several different mounting options to allow for placement in any position.

I'll post some additional comments and a couple of pics later in the weekend.

Warren_Sc

Second Unit
B&W actually markets the VM1 as a "do it all" speaker and has designed in several different mounting options to allow for placement in any position.
I am interested in the on-wall mounting. Any thoughts on how the sound might transmit through the wall and create issues with the people upstairs (...just my wife ;) )?
PICS! PICS! PICS!

Robert George

Screenwriter
Here's a couple of quick snaps of the VM1 mounted on a wall...
Front
vm1-front.jpg

Back view showing the port
vm1-back.jpg

As for sound bleeding through a wall, this should not be any more of a problem than with any speaker placed in the same proximity to a wall. The VM1 is flat only to 75Hz so all the low bass in a system would be coming from an accompanying sub. Bass frequencies tend to "travel" more than high frequencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks