What's new

Need help with upgrading receiver(s) (1 Viewer)

When I emailed the company to see which Salk, got an email back very quickly saying that their (Philharmonic) monitor would also make an excellent choice for a center.

Think I'd like to go with in-ceiling surrounds, Denon X4000, Philharmonic 3 L/R, Philharmonic monitor center - think that'd end up with a pretty good sound from what I've learned thus far.

Have 2 quotes in hand. Both feature the AT PB235 sound bar in the master and 3xNile CM7MP in the front and CM7FX for the surrounds. I don't know if I mentioned it but before but both have 2 speakers on our back porch. Both have Elan HC4 system control with a handheld remote.

One has Denon X2000 receiver and griptek HDMI splitters (3-1 and 1-2) and is ~$6,500. The other has a Denon X4000 and exchanges the un-needed matrix for an Elan amp to drive the two outside speakers. That one runs ~$7,300.

Both have a day of labor and include hanging the TV's on the wall in the Master and Living room.

So what do you think? I'm not wowed but I maybe that's what I can afford :(

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That is why you do this yourself.

Why do you think I design theatres and sell my service* for $600-$1000?

If I have more than 5 hours, on site, and 3 hours planning...I'm going slow. I shouldn't ever do the retail side of this. I spent more than a decade selling wholesale. The custom installers around here hate my cost runs. They do it anyway.

The trick here is. I don't care where you buy your stuff. I also point clients in 3-4 different directions. Most installers can only get the brands they sell. And can only use what is in stock. I couldn't care less what installer A has in stock. If installer B uses something more like what my design calls for, so be it.

I have one installer that doesn't even bother pricing his jobs anymore. He sends me the stuff he installed, time he says it took...I send a check.

*I do not, and will not, solicit via this site. If found outside here...fine. I got enough business from the custom home builder I work through.

I'm looking at what I imagined versus what was quoted and I find it hard to believe that what I have for about the same price wouldn't be so much better. One question that is sticking out for me is: Is the Elan controller and remote worth $2k? And also, what are the other options.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
As you probably can tell...the "cost" of the Elan HC4 is probably 40% of the cost of installing it. (edit: I'm assuming you've looked up what it costs to buy one, authorized. Ebay firesale "who knows where it came from" doesn't count.)

Edit:

$2000 is fair for installing one of them. "Worth it" depends if you need/want the automation. Automation costs...

Was just checking out the Logitech Harmony and it may be along our alley. We have a nest so we don't need automation of the HVAC and we have several Phillips Hue bulbs and controller already. All we really need is a way to control the AV/Home theater stuff out of sight.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Instead of Harmony. I suggest URC.

If your installer can get Elan, they should be able to get URC.

URC is "you call him" for issues. Not 1-800-you're on hold for the next available.

I bet URC has capability to run Hue as well.

To your automation...

Client is building a $1,250,000 house(total cost).

His, hers...their daughters Mercedes all have the net sync. The house will know which car is pulling into the driveway and light up lights to the front of the house for the daughter(doesn't park in the garage. Trying to get her to move. Purposely only having a 2 car garage). Each car will have controls to lock/unlock doors, turn lights on to pre-set. Since he is a lawyer...and works late. The lights in the house will come on at 40%.

The appliances all have networking features. The fridge keeps a running tally of when milk is removed from the fridge. Knows how much water is trickling out of the filter. Can send msg to the wife saying "need milk".

Washer can hold 36 ounces of laundry soap. If programmed so that 1 bottle can fill it three times. Third fill...the phone gets a msg "need laundry detergent".

Cost of that automation...by itself?

$135,000

Ordered the Philharmonic 3's and a Philharmonic monitor as the center today. Nothing else is totally set but I know I wanted to start with those.

Now I'm thinking about subs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks