What's new

Need help with upgrading receiver(s) (1 Viewer)

Hi, second post much like the first. We're moving into our 'retirement house' after years in Army housing (and not bothering to upgrade our AV stuff). We just got a Samsung 55" 3D smart TV last year and that moved our 36" Sony HDTV from a couple of years before that to our bedroom. Feel pretty good TV wise but have questions about speakers (there) and receivers (here). Set aside $5k for this but could squeeze out a bit more if need be.
We have a guy hanging our TV's on the walls and he's run some of the wiring and conduit to get things where we want them. He's also run for speaker drops on out patio to play off the living room system.
In the Living Room, we are going with in ceiling speakers as that seemed to fit the layout best. We have a Samsung 3D Bluray, Apple TV, Wii and an Xbox 360 (or One if I have money left over) to hook up to this system. Our AV guys brands are Arcan, Denon, and Pioneer Elite. What should I be looking for out of those? My wife likes to listen to classical music and I'd like to get here superior sound for that if possible too.
In the bedroom he's recommending a sound bar. After reading a few random threads here (a bare few), I'm wondering if that's the best solution. We have a set of 5 Klipsch reference surround speakers we could use instead (also have a 10" Klipsch sub that we could use in either room). We have another Apple TV and a plain Bluray to hook up in there. We use DirectTV. What can you recommend for this set-up?
TIA,
Tony

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
AVR choice boils down to...What do you want it to do...provide?I did the review of the SC79. It(along with the Denon 4520) has features You may want...and be willing to cruise past your budget for.The SC79(along with the 77, 75 lesser extent...as it loses a bit of what the 79 does) has an onboard HDMI matrix.That means...all your stuff can go with the SC79(4520) and completely feed both rooms. They have HDMI zone use.That HDMI zone can, in turn, feed a TV with a sound bar. Or...another 5.1 AVR (as basic as you want...as all it will do is receive content from the SC79/4520).So, you could...SC79/77/75 in the main room, with a VSX 523.OrDenon 4520 with a 1513.

Not very far apart, there's conduit run through the walls from both rooms to my closet where we can 'hide' any equipment we want too.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
So you could run both next to each other(remote apps can be set AVR 1 and AVR 2) and just run wire.If you are hiding both, technically you don't need a super advanced AVR. It just makes it easier not needing an exterior HDMI matrix (Pioneer has Icontrol built in. Extra cost, but worth it).But your upper budget is tough when dealing with automation.The simpler, and more automatic...the more it costs.What remote extending are you using? Is that separate from this $5000?

Just read a comment on another thread about spending over 2000 on a receiver. That comment suggested that at that price I should be looking at separate amplifiers rather than an uber receiver.

Features I reckon - such as the second HDMI out. I'm not sure about the HDMI matrix - that's one of the things I have to get smarter on.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The HDMI matrix is how your "all your stuff in one spot" works.You can let the AVR do that or buy an external one.Either way...automation costs. If you go external, you need extra IR(no big deal).Two separate systems entirely is what they are selling.There are literally hundreds of ways to do this. None of them are the wrong way.

Dougofthenorth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
IMHO - a decent sound bar is a pricey option - I tried one out (over $1.2K) for a HT solution in a travel trailer
- nope went to speakers.

If there is any way to use the existing "old" AVR &/or any "spare" speakers I would do so.
Spend the money towards your main automation.

As for in-wall/ceiling speakers, for me that is a topic for another day & another post topic :huh:

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The 2803 should have a MCH input.You could use it, but as the bedroom "brains" it still lacks HDMI. But a BD player with MCH outputs keeps it sorta relevant, but keeping it relevant ruins the "stuff stored in one place".

Installer came by this afternoon. My wife now really likes the idea of a sound bar in the bedroom and ceiling mounts x 5 for the living room. I'm planning on asking for the Denon X4000 for the AVR.I vetoed the Bose sound bar in favor of the Atlantic Technoligies PB-235. The ceiling speakers are Niles with an upgrade option to their ICS line.Using my Klipsch speakers in the bedroom is out - too bulky and requires another receiver. Is there a way to share the components with the X4000 and 1513? Are there some really small speakers to use in the bedroom with better sound than the Atlantic Technologies PB-235?The remote solution is Élan g'. It looked pretty good to me.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
5 in-ceiling is a bad idea.If you "just have to do" in- ceiling...Buy a LCR bar to mount with the TV and use the height channel to use 4 in-ceiling.The AT PB235 is as good as everything else that size.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That depends on the primary use off the room.I have two bedrooms set up with Boston Acoustics TVee25. I chose them, at the time, for ease of integration and the fact it had two analog inputs(along with optical).My bedroom is an Integra DTR 5.8 with Polk S6, Polk wedges and whatever the center Polk is. It blows away the BA TVee25.Depends how small you mean. Anything small that still achieves 80hz is worth considering.

Thanks for all your held schan1269.

The AT PB-235 does seem to have good reviews - even from sites/forums that seem anti-soundbar. Frankly, I'm thinking the 'battle' will be for the front soundstage in the living room. *She does say it's my decision and trusts my judgement.

On another forum, someone recommended Philharmonic audio speakers. I'm really looking at the Philharmonic 3's - thoughts here? Also, what center should I pair with them?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks