What's new

Need help with Setup/Equipment suggestions (1 Viewer)

jseese

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
This is my first post and this is by is the most informative Home Theater forum I have found so far. Here is some background on my upcoming project. I have had home theaters in the past but many years ago and now I am looking again but there is way more technology that I have to catch up on. I have 2 questions: My wife really likes the simple Bose 3-2-1 System but looking at the $900 price tag and the quality it made me start wondering is it the best bang for the price or is assembling my own components a better option. The second question is what suggestions you guys have for equipment (I need only a reciever and speaker set). I would really like to stay under 2k total as well as the room this is going into is very awkwardly laid out so rear speakers are going to be a real challange as I cannot have wires hanging all over but I do have experince running wires (car audio background) so I could get creative if needed. I have include 2 pics of my room layout so you get the idea of my issues.They are looking from one end to the other and vice versa.

Here is what I have now:

47" LG1080p LCD TV
Motorola HD Cable box > TV via Component Cable (video) and RCA (audio)
Sony PS3 > TV via HDMI

Here is what I am thinking:

47" LG1080p LCD TV
Motorola HD Cable box > Receiver via Component Cable (video) and RCA (audio) > Receiver to TV via HDMI (Do I need an audio to TV as well or just the HDMI)
Sony PS3 > Reciever via HDMI

Receiver to power a sub and a set of speakers but I am wondering if wireless rears (for easy install would be better or could I get away with putting wired speakers on end tables? Probably not the most ideal placement but am needing suggestions. I also wouldn't be opposed to moving some furniture around for the best sound but the TV is on the wall and cannot move. I just started looking at receivers and was looking at the Denon 788 and I have no clue where to start with speakers yet but my local box stores seem to not be very helpful. I looked at the Klipsch site and they have so many different models so any input would be appriciated.

Here are the 2 pics of my living room (dimensions are 21'L x 12'4" W, don't mind the dog :) ):

Thanks for the help!!

Jon

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The first thing you have to do is get rid of that composite cable connection to the TV (and to the receiver when you get one). A composite connection is very low grade and you're losing video resolution by using it. Go with a component connection. Do that now, we'll wait ..... okay then.

For the most part the forum (and myself) dislike Bose. A lot. They are basically selling mediocre equipment at a premium price.

There's no shame in going simplistic to make your wife happy; but don't pay through the nose to do it.

I don't have a suggestion for a comparable simplistic receiver. But another option is to get a 'standard' receiver and a good universal remote. The remote can be configured by function (watch cable, play game, watch DVD) and all the pieces of equipment are switched at one time.

When you get the receiver you don't have to run an audio to the TV once you have it going through the receiver. But some people have an audio/video connection going to both their receiver and directly to the TV so they can choose to not run the receiver.

Running the wire for the rear speakers looks to be non-trivial. I'm sure you could go down into the floor and up the walls, but it wouldn't be a half hour job. You could go with a 3.1 set-up. It would be much better that you have now and you could add the rears when you have time for the project.

jseese

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
Sorry for the mix up, I do have component cable, not composite (I will fix my post) Thanks for the tips and look forward to more.

The more I read on the bose systems I am not going that route and am not looking at wireless rears so I am looking for recommedations on a receiver and a 5.1 speaker set under 2k for both.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks