What's new

Need help with rear speaker placement (1 Viewer)

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
I have to rewire my entire media room from the original plan I had when I built the house 2 years ago. Going with a projector now. 100-106". Have front/center/sub picked out. Narrowing it down on a receiver that doesn't have HD-DVD True Dolby HDMI issues.

Need to finalize the rear speakers so I can go in, re-wire, paint, and get some customer cabinets made...then it's the easy part, purchasing everything!

Anyways, strange room. 14x14' with a 2' inset in the rear (cabinets for components, projector mounted upside down to top). Walls are 7'10 at the walls then arch up to 10'.

Couch is going to be a square U sectional running along the sides and back wall.

Was thinking 5.1 or 6.1 based on this set-up. You can see where I have taped out 2 speakers on the side, but now I"m thinking about doing in-walls on the slanted back part of the ceiling.

Thoughts?

Ok, still trying to get the pictures up. 39.1KB max file size? Sheesh.

ChrisChap

Stunt Coordinator
I replied to your thread on texags, but in case you check here first I just said I would look into using pivoting speaker mounts to angle the rear speakers toward the listener.

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
Bumping an old thread but need some help.

After hours of attic time today I have finalized that there is absolutely NO way to get to that R-Side speaker drop (picture 2 above).

Best I can do is get to the top of the angled ceiling. So I would have to do a speaker wire run through the ceiling there, down the exposed ceiling, and then down the wall to where the blue tape for the speaker is. I could paint it to match the walls (gray or gray & black)

Should I do this, or just scrap the side speakers?

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Don't scrap the side speakers. I would either paint the cable as you mentioned or use a bracket for the speaker and hang it from where you can make the drop.

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
Cabinets were installed and I went ahead and hooked everything up (even though it still needs to be painted and I haven't ordered the fixed Carada screen).

I'm pretty blown away by how awesome it looks and sound.

I'll post some pics once it's all done.

BTW - thanks for making me do the rear speakers. It sounds fantastic.

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
I guess I should post my equipment also

Panasonic PT-100XU 720p projector (killer)
Carada screen - probably 110"
Onkyo 605
Toshiba HD-A2
DirecTV HR-20 HD TIvo
Fronts: Infinity Beta C250s
Side: JBL Balcony
Rear: old JBL bookshelfs
Sub: Velodyne SPL-12
Power Supply: Tripp Lite LCD 1000

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks