What's new

Need help with HDMI switching and purchasing Home Theater Receiver (1 Viewer)

atomarchio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angelo
Would like to know how I can add speakers and do HDMI switching through my Sony TV back and forth between Tivo HD and DVD player which are connected on HDMI1 and HDMI2.

Currently, I am only using the TV speakers. The devices are wired to a different room in a closet and I have 2 separate HDMI runs for each device.

Can I just buy wireless speakers and plug them directly into my Sony TV somehow? I don't want surround sound but apparently I have no other option from what I've been told. If I can add one wireless speaker to my setup, that would be fine.

Do I have to purchase a receiver to add a single speaker? Apparently, I have to buy a receiver but I don't want to.

If I have to buy a Home Theater Receiver. Is it possible to purchase one that would automatically switch the audio back and forth automatically when I switched HDMI inputs on the TV remote?

I don't see many receivers that have 2 HDMI outputs. Hate to go through all of this extra expense to add one speaker.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
When you add external speakers to a system, they need to be powered by something. That's what the receiver does - provide amplificiation and power for each speaker channel.

An A/V receiver also takes care of another of your concerns - switching sources. When you add an A/V receiver to your setup, the TV no longer acts as the "hub" of your system - the receiver does.

This means that you connect both the audio and video signals from all your sources (TivoHD, and DVD in your case) into the receiver and run a single video cable into the TV. You leave the TV set to that input, and switch inputs at the receiver. The receiver automatically switches both the audio and the video.

Since you're looking for a simplified solution and surround sound is not a factor, I would recommend considering one of the Sony Sound bar systems (the HTCT100 or the HTCT500). What's neat about these is that the subwoofer units function like a receiver would - you can plug in your HDMI cables from each source (and add an additional HDMI cable going from the sound bar to the TV) and it does all the processing and switching for you.

The sound will NOT be as good as what you'll get with a receiver and separate speakers, but it will certainly be better than the TV's speakers.

atomarchio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angelo
Thank you for replying. It's hard to find any decent photos of the back of these devices. Here is a photo of my room. The space around the TV is tight and I'm not sure where to mount the sound bar.

All of the wires run back to another room via HDMI. How would I connect these devices to the TV and where would I place them?

There is a coax port behind the Christmas Tree on the left. Not sure what I can do with that though.

Please let me know. Thanks.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Wow - seeing the setup you have, there are a whole slew of new challenges related to installation. It's hard for me to decide where to begin....

The sound bar solution is probably not worth the level of effort required to re-route your current HDMI cables.

Honestly, your best bet is probably to place an A/V receiver in the same closet as the sources. I'm assuming that you already have some sort of IR repeater system that allows the remote control(s) to work from another room? With the receiver in the closet, you'll route both sources into the receiver, then use only 1 of the current HDMI runs to the TV. That will take care of the video side of things.

For the speakers, you really have a limited amount of space. In-walls likely won't fit in the space between the moulding and the windows (it would be very tight if they did), so some smallish wall-mounted speakers (like the CB-5 from Energy) may be your best bet. Regardless, you'll need to find a way to run speaker wires from the closet to the speaker locations.

That means finding some way to access the TV wall to run the speaker wires - either via your vaulted ceiling, or perhaps you have a basment?

Of course, all of this may already be beyond the scope you were expecting. If so, that's perfectly understandable, but if this is something you're willing to tackle, I can try to provide more specifics.

atomarchio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angelo
I can live with the receiver. The front speaker wires are already down underneath in the basement.

I have 2 HDMI lines run from the closet to the family room. One for Tivo and the other for DVD player.

However, if I purchase a receiver with 2 HDMI outputs, would I be able to switch HDMI1 (Tivo) to HDMI2 (DVD) on the TV with either the TV or Receiver remote?

I would like to have the TV remote to make it easier for family to watch a movie when babysitter or family are watching the kids.

Please let me know. Thanks.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
What sort of budget do you have in mind for this system?

Two HDMI outputs is a feature reserved for pretty high-end receivers. You're not likely to find any receivers with dual outputs for less than $1000 or possibly higher.

You're better off setting up the system to run a single HDMI cable to the TV and get a universal remote like one from the Logitech Harmony series (I have the 880 and love it). The Harmony remotes are designed around "Activities" and are very easy to configure so that all devices are set to the correct input/output when switching activities.

Again, this presupposes that you have an IR repeater or something similar to relay the remote control commands.

Edit: The Onkyo TX-NR1007 has two HDMI outs, but is $1300 at Amazon.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Actually, having the two outputs would not gain you anything - no matter what, you would still have to change inputs on the receiver to match the source you're trying to watch.

Routing everything to the receiver is a convenience feature. It means you only have to change inputs on ONE device, rather than two. The TV is incapable of switching both audio and video, therefore the only way to switch sources with one click is through the receiver.

atomarchio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angelo
Yes, I have an IR repeater. I tried the Harmony remote and did not like it. Our primary remote is the Tivo and then our DVD remote of course. I would like to avoid adding a 3rd remote to the mix in order to switch from Tivo to DVD Player.

I probably would be willing to pay that price if I can use the input button on the Tivo Remote to do the switching on the TV from HDMI1 and HDMI2. I am wondering if that's going to work though. Perhaps it would cause a conflict with the receiver switching, do you think this would work?

atomarchio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angelo
OK.

If I buy a Sony Receiver, can I use Bravia sync which would do the switching and the match up the audio/video?

Also, does it turn the receiver off when I turn the TV off? I had a problem in the past where my Onkyo receiver would play the sound from the TV even when it was turned off.

Granted, that was a few years ago with older Sony TV and component connections.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Switching the TV from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 is not the issue here. The problem is that with the configuration you're describing, you'll have to program the Tivo remote to switch inputs on the TV as well as the receiver (so the audio matches the video you're watching). I'd be surprised if your Tivo remote can have macros programmed into it (but I'm not certain on that).

If you really want to simplify the setup, you should route both sources into the receiver, and have a single HDMI run to the TV. Keeping the two separate HDMI runs to the TV ADDS COMPLICATION because you have to change inputs on two devices when switching sources.

If you've set up your Tivo remote to change TV inputs, then you should be able to reprogram it to change receiver inputs instead (you'll also program the volume controls to operate the receiver instead of the TV, since you won't be using the TV speakers at all). As far as I can tell, this is the only way you're going to be able to add a receiver/speakers to the setup and not have to add another remote to the mix.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
My understanding is that all components in the system need to have Bravia Sync in order for it to work. A quick glance at Sony's website seems to indicate that Bravia Sync is only included in their higher-end "ES" series of receivers - the lowest end model being the STR-DA2400ES.

Maybe someone else has firsthand experience with Bravia Sync and can testify to its effectiveness, and whether it works with different brands of devices (like the Tivo or DVD).

I still feel like a more conventional receiver setup is the most cost-effective way to achieve what you want, but ultimately, it's whatever you're most comfortable with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks