Need help with disk space problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Dias, Aug 12, 2001.

1. Chris Dias

Chris Dias Stunt Coordinator

Chris
    Hi can somebody help me, I don't know what is going on. First of all I have a rather old computer, it is a Pentium 200 with a 2 gig hard drive and 64 MB of RAM running Windows 98. It does the job as all I do is surf e-mail and listen to the ocassional mp3.
    Now the problem is I know I have at least 300 MB of hard disk space left. If I boot up and check windows explorer it says that. But as I leave the computer on the available space keeps fluctuating between 300 and 0. Then the "No Disk space" sign keeps popping up. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I can't even defrag my drive because everytime I start it goes for a while and then it stops because it says the information on the disk has changed. I have a cable modem so I thought that maybe something was secretly being downloaded in the background but then I unhooked it and the same thing was happening.
    Can somebody help me? Thanks,
    Chris Dias

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I would say it's either your web cache (Temporary Internet Files) or files going in and out of the recycle bin. Or both.

3. Chris Dias

Chris Dias Stunt Coordinator

Chris
    Thanks for the quick response Rob, but I don't think that's the problem. I've tried deleting the cache and mt recycle bin is empty. Also, I can just leave the computer on without doing anything (even with the modem disconnected) and after a few minutes the "Out of space sign will pop up. Then I'll check the space and it will be at or near zero, but then after a few minutes of not doing anything it will be back up to 100 or 200 or 300 MB. It's weird.
    Any other ideas? Is it a virus maybe?
    Thanks

4. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Is Windows managing your Virtual Memory? That would be my guess.
    Might be time to drop a hundred bucks and get a 30GB drive...
    ------------------
    "If we blow up, whatever's left of me is kickin' your butt."

5. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Joel's probably right. Even with 64mb of memory (which used to be considered the most you'll ever need for Win98) the OS will need to do a lot of swapping about.
    You could try something as an experiment. Change your virtual memory settings and leave the swap file as a fixed size rather than letting Windows control the size. If the theory is right, you shouldn't then get these fluctuations.
    Of course, a bigger drive and more RAM would be a good idea [​IMG]