What's new

Need help with converting pre-wire to RCA adapter for subwoofer (1 Viewer)

forgop

Auditioning
Real Name
Duane
I had my home built in 2002 and had it pre-wired for rear speakers and a run for a subwoofer in the rear wall of my family room. From what I see, it appears most subs/receivers that I've come across use an RCA cable as the connector of choice.

Unfortunately, I don't have an RCA input in the wall. Instead, I have 2 cables, each of them consisting of 4 wires (black/white/red/green). How can I possibly set this up so I can use my pre-wire? Thanks for any information you can provide me.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You need a passive sub. Put the sub amp with the rest of your equipment and the sub at the other end of the wire. What is your budget and we can go from there.

forgop

Auditioning
Real Name
Duane
I don't have a set budget, but I don't really want to go overboard either, so I guess I'm looking to know what I'm up against in a budget/medium/high end price range. I have a preference for Klispch speakers, but with this type of situation, I really have no idea what the heck I'm doing. My receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR707.

Jasen Chandler

Stunt Coordinator
Go to radio shack and buy some solder on male RCA connectors, solder the black wire to the shield and the red to the pin and you now have rca ends.

Its that easy.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Jasen Chandler

Go to radio shack and buy some solder on male RCA connectors, solder the black wire to the shield and the red to the pin and you now have rca ends.

Its that easy.
It's also not shielded and subject to radio interference.

Peanut123

Agent
Real Name
BJ
Klipsch does make a very good in-wall sub. I actually installed 2 of the dual 8s in a customers house and he fell in love with it. Dont worry about not know what to do. Most of these guys will help you out.

forgop

Auditioning
Real Name
Duane
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I've opted to do the soldering gun to some female RCA ends. I'd like to find a standard wall cover that I could do it and have it look much nicer. Would Radio Shack carry something like that or is there a good place for stuff like it online?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks