Need help with connections

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jack Sampson, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Jack Sampson

Jack Sampson Stunt Coordinator

I just bought a HDTV and HD DVR but don't know the best way to hook it up to my existing equipment. I The tv and dvr have hdmi input/output. I also have a Onkyo 573 reciever that I want to use as a switch for different inouts. Can I use the tv's speakers as my center channel? I just have 2 r30 floor speakers and a sony sub.

2. Jack Sampson

Jack Sampson Stunt Coordinator

Ok lets try it this way. If you have a HDTV and HD DVR, how did you connect it to your surround sound. I'm about to just go out and buy a new bose surround sound system since they sound pretty good.

3. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

No, it's probably best to just set your 573 not to use a Center channel. If you want center or surround speakers, it's possible to get voice matched units.

If the 573 doesn't have a HDMI switch, you can switch audio with your receiver and video with the TV. A Harmony remote can automate the process.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Jack - Dont buy Bose. They are over-priced, guilty of deceptive advertising practices, enforce price-fixing for stores that sell them and advertise to AARP members who dont have good hearing.

How to connect: HDMI from each source to the Onkyo. 1 HDMI to the TV.

Use the receiver to switch between the two.