What's new

Need help with connecting my subwoofer (1 Viewer)

Gavink

Auditioning
Real Name
Gavin Singh
I've been setting up my Home Theater system, the speakers were easy, but now I am stuck on the sub.
Everything is pre wired, but the subwoofer wire has 4 wires in it....how am I supposed to connect it?
http://imgur.com/a/qk7xB - thats an album with pictures of the wire and the back of my sub a BIC F12.
The wire, if you cant tell, has a green, black, red, and white wire.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm trying to figure out how you wound up with a 4-strand wire for the subwoofer connection...
We need more info...
What "was there"?
What are you connecting now?

Gavink

Auditioning
Real Name
Gavin Singh
Robert_J said:
What receiver?
Onkyo NR 717
schan1269 said:
I'm trying to figure out how you wound up with a 4-strand wire for the subwoofer connection...
We need more info...
What "was there"?
What are you connecting now?
Nothing "was there", its the pre wiring for the sub in the house I bought. I am now connecting a subwoofer. It is labeled "Sub" on the wire, and I am connecting a BIC F 12 Subwoofer as seen in the album I posted in my original post.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's not the correct type of wire for that receiver/sub combination. You can try to make it work or try the less than perfect, high level connection but neither will provide the best sound. How close is your receiver to the sub? Can you use a cable run over the floor? Can you replace that cable?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That is not the wiring for a modern sub.
That must be from the days before .1 when subwoofers ran from the right and left into a subwoofer and then to the satellites. That pre-wire has to over 15 years old.

Gavink

Auditioning
Real Name
Gavin Singh
Robert_J said:
It's not the correct type of wire for that receiver/sub combination. You can try to make it work or try the less than perfect, high level connection but neither will provide the best sound. How close is your receiver to the sub? Can you use a cable run over the floor? Can you replace that cable?
Yeah I can run a cable along the floor. Might have to do that.
schan1269 said:
That is not the wiring for a modern sub.
That must be from the days before .1 when subwoofers ran from the right and left into a subwoofer and then to the satellites. That pre-wire has to over 15 years old.
It was pre wired in 2009....thats weird. It says "5.1 living room" on the set of wires. Also, if it was set up for the old style, the subwoofer would need 4 wires going to it, and 4 more wires leaving it to the satellites I think.

Gavink

Auditioning
Real Name
Gavin Singh
I came to the conclusion that the installers are idiots. They should have used regular RCA, but now I have to use adapters, such as these - http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103848
So I will try that tomorrow and get back to you guys.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Those RCA adapters might work.
They did that in 2009? Maybe they were partying like it was 1999...
Or the prior owner had Bose...:rolleyes:

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Using that wire may also create an antenna that picks up a bunch of interference. That's why we use shielded, coaxial cable for sub cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks