What's new

Need Help with computer ASAP!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Hello,
I'm fixing a computer for a friend and something happened. I was installing Norton SystemWorks because he didn't have any anti-virus protection, and all of a sudden the computer froze and started making this beeping sound. The beeping sound is like beeep......beeeep......beeeep.....beeeep.....beeee p. It is coming from somwhere inside the case. So I turned off the computer and turned it back on. Well, the computer does NOTHING and it beeps over and over again. The computer won't even start to boot up! I don't know what happened. Its a Windows 98 system. Does anyone have any ideas???

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Hardware failure of some kind. How many beeps, are they short or long? You need his motherboard manual to decipher what the beep means

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Those beeps you here are coming from a little speaker inside the case. When something is wrong with the computer, the BIOS will attempt to "communicate" with you by beeping. There are specific beep codes for each problem but unfortunately they are not universal across BIOS manufacterers.

If you could tell us the brand of computer, we may be able to attempt to trackdown which motherboard it has and thus look at the appropriate beep codes.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Well,
Its a really old computer, its called MTI. He doesn't have a motherboard manual or anything. I don't know what to do. I didn't do anything wrong did I. I don't understand how installing a program could cause something like this.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
No, the software didn't cause that problem.

Since it doesn't boot, I take it you can no longer see the video? Often the BIOS type is displayed first thing upon bootup.

But without that you can probably still make a good guess of where the problem is. Describe EXACTLY how many beeps, pauses and duration the sequence is. For example, Three long beeps, pause, one short beep, pause three long beeps, etc.

Brian E

Screenwriter
You could try taking out the cards, ram, cpu, etc. and reseating them.

There are quite a few things it could be. In my experience it's usualy a CPU, RAM or a Video Card, but not always.

I can't think of any way System Works would have caused this.

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Brian's suggestions seems best. Make sure all the cards are seated correctly. See if you can boot to safe mode? Hold down the F8 key when booting up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks