What's new

Need help with antenna (1 Viewer)

kyle-sm

Agent
Hi folks,
Here is the deal. I don’t want to pay for cable but would like as many free channels as I can get via antenna. If I can get any sports (or anything else) in HD, that would be sweet! Details: TV – Panasonic TC-23LX60 http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-23lx60/4505-6482_7-31961094.html My residence – I live in a home that has been split into 4 apartments. I could either put a massive antenna in my closet near the TV (depending on the size of it) or right outside the window that the TV is near. Surrounding Terrain – I’m in Ann Arbor Michigan which is pretty much 100% flat The read out from www.antennaweb.org is this:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Most of the Detroit stations are actually located in Southfield, so you should be able to pull those in if you can reach the Toledo stations. Antennaweb.org should give you antenna type recommendations based on your distance to the stations. Radio Shack used to sell a variety of antennas, but it's been a few years since I looked into this. I've been using cable for HDTV for several years, but used to get the Southfield HDTV station broadcasts using a simple Radio Shack double bowtie UHF indoor antenna before Comcast started offering HD service. I'm in Plymouth, approximately 15 miles east of Ann Arbor. I doubt an indoor antenna would work from Ann Arbor, though, as it was marginal from Plymouth. You will probably need something outdoors with a rotor and amplifier.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
According to the link you provided for the TV, the 23-inch model you are purchasing does not include a built-in HDTV tuner, so you will need an external tuner in order to receive HDTV broadcast signals. The link states that the 26-inch and 32-inch models have built-in HDTV tuners.

Personally, if you have not already purchased the TV, I would look for something with a built-in HD tuner. For over the air, you need a ATSC tuner. For non-scrambled cable TV HD, you need a QAM tuner. Many newer models have both tuner types built-in.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Taking a look at the TV link, it says the TV is a 2006 model. Not surprising it doesn't have a tuner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks