What's new

Need help with '70s kids shows aired on PBS stations!!! (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
OK, how many of you out there remember the following kids programs from the '70s, broadcast on PBS?

Ripples (don't remember too much about this one, except that in one episode a kid went to get a check-up at the doctor's office)
Inside Out (filmed dramatic show teaching values and morals)
Art Cart (how-to art program)
Art Starts (same show under a different title I think)
All About You (science show about the human body)

And there was a music program, the name of which unfortunately escapes me, starring two women, one a bit stocky with short hair, and one with long dark hair, if I'm remembering correctly. The autoharp was utilized quite a bit. One of the songs I remember vividly from this show is:

Sh, be quiet
Sh, be quiet
Running down the hall
Don't you even try it!
Old Mr. Grump
Who lives down below
Will come right up
First thing you know!

Another bit of a song I remember from this show:

The fireboats are spraying in the alley-alley-O!

Can ANYONE here shed some light on any of these programs? Who wrote, directed, starred in, and produced them? The companies that own them? How to possibly obtain copies of them on video? I wrote to my local PBS affiliate (KCTS-9, Seattle), but they said they no longer had any information on these programs, since they hadn't run them in many years. The PBS website says that, due to staffing limitations, they are unable to respond to inquiries regarding programs which aired prior to 1994. Great.

I'm hoping against hope that the original broadcast masters haven't been wiped from the face of the earth...or, at the very least, that some enterprising forward-thinking souls managed to tape a few of them in those top-loading behemoths with channel-changer knobs on the front...another of my hopes is that someone managed to tape a few episodes of local Seattle icon J.P. Patches' show in the late '70s, 'cause the makers of the show only have five left that weren't wiped by KIRO-TV (Seattle). Five, out of thousands aired over 20 years. A tragedy.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I remember the theme music to "All About You", and I've probably seen those other ones since PBS was once the only thing my parents would let me watch! A lot of that stuff would be great to see right now, but I'll be thankful enough if they'll just put out the OLD Sesame Street stuff!
There was one show I remember that showed a closed toy shop, and the tricycles and stuff started moving by themselves. It freaked me out!
ADDED- I just remembered some elementary schools used to tape some of these shows on those big Sony U-Matic VCRs. That'd be a good place to check for any surviving recordings, I still need to find a working U-Matic machine that I can afford. The school I went to even kept some tapes on hand of Saturday morning cartoons to show during recess when it was raining outside, I'd love to get my hands on those too.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
WOW!!! What an incredible site! Thank you so much!!! Well, that takes care of Inside Out and All About You, plus a bunch of other stuff I'd never even heard of. I managed to track down someone who has access to Ripples as well. No leads on Art Cart/Art Starts. And I found one other person who remembers the music show, but he can't remember the name of it either. It was broadcast in black and white.

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Also a product of the 1970s Seattle School System, I've recently re-remembered the "Sh Be Quiet" segment for some reason and found your old post.

I asked OpenAI GPT chat system and it came up with "what it says" is the complete lyrics, segment and show name, info below.

-------

"Quiet Time" song from "Play School":

Sh, be quiet Sh, be quiet
Running down the hall
Don't you even try it!
Old Mr. Grump
Who lives down below
Will come right up
First thing you know!

We mustn't make a sound
Or he'll wake up with a frown
So sh, be quiet Sh, be quiet

We're playing games
And having lots of fun
But we must be careful
Not to make a sound
So sh, be quiet Sh, be quiet

Old Mr. Grump
Who lives down below
Will come right up
First thing you know!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Ripples, Inside Out, and All About You were all AIT shows and are available to watch on the University of Indiana's website. Dunno about the other two.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks