What's new

Need help with 7.1 set up for medium sized room (1 Viewer)

Roll tide high

Auditioning
Real Name
James
Hey guys I have a living room that's probably about 500 to 600 sq ft. The design pretty much limits me to satellite speakers in the corners. I'm considering the klipsch hd 1000 home theater 5.1 setup but I want to add two floor speakers. Klipsch doesn't seem to offer any specifically paired for the hd 1000. My question is will I have timbre issues if I pair this with say the klipsch f-10 floor speakers? Many thanks for your help.

Roll tide high

Auditioning
Real Name
James
@Schan: thanks for the valuable input on living room measurements but that really doesn't help me. What I'm really trying to do is get an opinion on the speakers. Thanks for trying.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm trying to help...but 20x25 is a huge room for "satellites". I assume this is what you mean by satellite... http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-RM705-Theater-System/dp/B000WGJX5A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359071275&sr=8-1&keywords=polk+5.1 And 500sq ft is way too much room for satellites to fill with sound.

Roll tide high

Auditioning
Real Name
James
Yeah that's the type of speakers I'm talking about, but its the klipsch hd 1000 series. I measured my living room and I was way off. It's actually about 300 sq ft. So I think the satellites will be fine. I'm just concerned about pairing them with klipsch f-10 floor speakers. I want to be sure there won't be a timbre issue

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The tweeter section will be fine. You'll need to stay away from Pioneer/Elite and Yamaha as they only offer one crossover. Denon/Marantz, Onkyo/Integra and HK offer multiple. That way when you get your F10, you can set their crossover around 80 and the HDT1000 speakers at 120-150hz.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Roll tide high said:
Yeah that's the type of speakers I'm talking about, but its the klipsch hd 1000 series. I measured my living room and I was way off. It's actually about 300 sq ft. So I think the satellites will be fine. I'm just concerned about pairing them with klipsch f-10 floor speakers. I want to be sure there won't be a timbre issue
There won't be much in terms of a timbre issue between the mains and the surrounds, however I'd be worried about the mismatch between two floorstanding mains and a satellite center. When it comes to timbre - it's the front three that are most critical.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Jason Charlton said:
There won't be much in terms of a timbre issue between the mains and the surrounds, however I'd be worried about the mismatch between two floorstanding mains and a satellite center. When it comes to timbre - it's the front three that are most critical.
I was thinking the same thing, if that little center speaker could keep up with those larger towers. I was going to say he might want to get the C10 center but at that point, why get the HD 1000 at all? While I was looking at the Klipsch HD 1000 I noticed the center/satellites had a frequency response of 150-20,000 while the sub that came with them only goes to 120 hz :blush: . I wonder if it's a typo or just a poor satellite/subwoofer match?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks