What's new

Need help using projector with receiver (1 Viewer)

jham1496

Auditioning
Real Name
john h
I have a older receiver, a sony STR-0611, it has no HDMI inputs. I am thinking about getting a Sanyo PLV-Z5 projector. However, i do not know how to hook my receiver up to it. The projector has no audio outs so i do not know how to do this. I will attach a picture of the inputs for the projector. I know that i should purchase a new receiver but for the moment i am not. How would i go about hooking my receiver up to the projector?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
How are all of your sources currently connected to the receiver? The projector simply works as a monitor. Take the highest quality video output from the receiver (likely component video) and run that to your projector. If your receiver will not convert composite video to component, and you have composite sources, too - you will need to also run a composite video cable to your projector.

All of your sources can still connect directly to the receiver, so the receiver handles the audio side of things.

Alternatively, if you have HDMI devices, you run HDMI from each source to the projector for just video, and run separate digital optical or digital coaxial audio connections from each source to the receiver.

In this situation, you will need to switch inputs on both the receiver and projector.

jham1496

Auditioning
Real Name
john h
Thanks Jason. I was thinking that for HDMI i would have to run seperate audio but i was not sure. Thanks for clearing that up.

johng316

Agent
Real Name
John Gates
Hi John,

As Jason says, the projector is a monitor. You won't be connecting audio to the Projector. Here's how to set it up without using HDMI:

Source (likely some kind of DVD player). Connect highest quality video out from the source to similar video input on your Receiver. Connect Audio Out on the source to Audio In on the receiver (the video and audio inputs on the receiver should match up so you are connecting to Component Video Input 1 and the related Audio Input 1 for example).

From there, connect Video Out (probably Component Video) from the Receiver to Video Input on your projector.

You'll have to get into setup mode on your Receiver to make sure that all of your inputs and outputs are assigned correctly so when you push the DVD button on the receiver remote, the receiver knows where to look for the video and audio inputs as well as where to send the video signal (which video output to use).

From there, the Receiver should be accepting video and audio inputs from your SOURCE DVD player. The Receiver amplifies the audio and sends it to your speakers (also connected to your receiver) while sending a video signal to your projector.

I hope that this is not too basic and it's the kind of help you were needing.

Enjoy the journey!

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks