Need help spending $4500

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jimmy-J, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Jimmy-J

Jimmy-J Auditioning

I need to buy a new tv, and want a 55" 16:9 intergrated rptv, crt or lcd. Which would be better? I was looking at the mits ws-55511, but I don't want to overlook some of the other possibiltys out there. I was wanting to spend $3000 or a little more for the tv. I also need a never surround receiver for about $1000, and why where at it a dvd player for around $500. Can you guys help me pick out something, I know alot of you have researched these things but need a little reassurane on what to buy. Is there anything else I should consider?
    Thanks Guys!

2. Jimmy-J

Jimmy-J Auditioning

Bump!

3. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

If I were you, here's the setup I would purchase:

Hitachi 57" RPTV (57TWX20B) ~ $2400
    Panasonic DVD Player (CP-72) ~ $200
    Sony DirecTV/HDTV Receiver (HD200 w/DVI) ~ $700

TOTAL: $3300 for a pretty damn nice setup. Just my 2 cents...

4. PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy Stunt Coordinator

TV: Lots of nice choices in that size/price range. I'd be really tempted to look at the Samsung 50" DLP set, which may be a little more expensive, but no worries about burn-in.

Receiver: Denon 3803, Onkyo SR800, Sony DA4ES (I'd only look at Sony's ES gear), HK 525 are good models in that price range.

DVD Player: You can get a very good player w/prog. scan, DVD-Audio, DCDi and no chroma bug for around $220 w/$30 rebate: Panasonic CP-72.

5. Joshua Skains

Joshua Skains Auditioning

Ok, just send me an e-mail to jskains at cox.net and I'll send you my home address. You can then send me the money and I'll help you spend it.

Thanks,
    JMS

6. Jimmy-J

Jimmy-J Auditioning

Any more thoughts?

7. PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy Stunt Coordinator

How about some more info on your decision points? You've given a budget, are there any other constraints, preferences, observations, etc.? Room size, viewing distance, lighting, style, anything that could affect your choice.

8. Jimmy-J

Jimmy-J Auditioning

I want the best that I can get for those amounts. Lighting is no problem, my distance only alows for 55" and under.
    On the receiver, I want one that supports all formats of surround sound. I would very much like to use one remote for all items.
    Thanks

9. Dan Ponze

Dan Ponze Stunt Coordinator

Here'd be my choices although you may go over budget:
    Denon 3803 $1199
    Denon DVD-900 - $299
    Samsung 50 inch DLP - $4000
    YOu can probably get discount if you buy both together to get you under that $4500 price cap. Bad part? No HDTV tuner included at that price. I don't really care since cable is going to give me one anyway.