What's new

Need Help Running PS3 through receiver using HDMI (1 Viewer)

jacobesq

Auditioning
Real Name
Jacob
I am having trouble running PS3 (v1.8) through my Yamaha RX-V1700.

PS3 is working on a direct PS3-TV HDMI connection. When I hook up PS3 to the receiver HDMI in, and then receiver HDMI out to TV HDMI in, nothing. No video and no audio. All input settings are correct, rechecked them a million times.

I am running my cable box through the receiver also, using HDMI, and that is working. Does not appear that its a receiver problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

dkny75

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Danny
I would suggest you try switching the HDMI inputs for the cable box and PS3 and see if that makes a difference. I might be your receiver if the problem is reversed after you switch connections.

CRyan

Screenwriter
You did not mention the type of receiver. Do you correctly have the HDMI port linked to the correct video input that you are selecting on the amp for the PS3?

And what he said. ^^

jacobesq

Auditioning
Real Name
Jacob
I tried both HDMI inputs, and cycled through all the A/V inputs on the receiver. I am starting to think that maybe its a PS3 problem. Otherwise, why would the receiver work with the cable box HDMI connection?

CRyan

Screenwriter
Ok. Here is what I would do...

1. I assume you have two HDMI cables going to receiver (one cable, one PS3) and then one HDMI cable going to the TV right? Well, have you hooked the PS3 directly to the TV using THE CABLE that you currently have from the PS3 to the receiver? THAT cable could be bad. Obviously the one going to the TV is not since the cable TV works.

2. Check online for your model receiver. Does it have HDMI "handshake" issues? This is a long shot as cable boxes USUALLY are more problematic with HDMI than anything else.

3. Are you outputting 1080p from the PS3? If so, can your receiver handle 1080p? Your cable box is only putting out 1080i. Some (many) early receivers just cant handle the bandwidth of 1080p. This could be taking the whole input down - Sound and all...

4. Have you tried changing some of the audio and video settings on the PS3. I would try taking it all down to the minimums - 480p and 2 channel PCM or bitstream even to see what happens (you have to uncheck eerything is custom setup). It is also possible that the PS3 is not detecting correctly the audio capabilities of your receiver and sending it something it cant handle.

I will think some more but if NONE of the above is correct, I might be stumped. But you are right, it must be something with the receiver and the PS3 and how they interact UNLESS it is that one cable...

Hmmmm. And yes I am an idiot as you mentioned the receiver in the first post....

CRyan

Screenwriter
OK. I see that this receiver CAN output 1080p. Hmmm. Well, I would still see if takiing the PS3 down a res or two and the sound to see if it outputs. IT would get you closer to seeing if it is the PS3 or something about the receiver and the PS3.

jacobesq

Auditioning
Real Name
Jacob
Tried different cables, nothing. Hooked up the cable box through the PS3 HDMI in slot, it works, so the receiver is fine.

The receiver is brand new and is capable of 1080p.

Havent been able to find any compatibility issues.

Tried running PS3 at various settings, nothing.

This is very frustrating and seems to be a PS3 issue. I am going to try an contact Sony, wish me luck.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Try this--turn off the PS3 both with the front off button and the rocker swithe on the back, turn tv and receiver on and set receiver to the HDMI input for the PS3. Now turn on the back PS3 switch then press and hold the front on switch for about 10 seconds. This is supposed to force a fresh HDMI handshake and allow the PS3 to sense the capabilities of your display device.

jacobesq

Auditioning
Real Name
Jacob
Tried it. Holding the front power button simply turns off the PS3 after about 5 seconds. Nothing seems to happen.

CRyan

Screenwriter
He is suggesting a full reset. Google "PS3 reset" and you will get the instructions. Maybe in the manual as well...

That is a good idea to try so make sure to give the reset a go.

jacobesq

Auditioning
Real Name
Jacob
Holding the power button until the PS3 beeps twice is a system reset. Did not work.

I'll let you guys know if Sony has anything helpful to say.

jacobesq

Auditioning
Real Name
Jacob
Neither Sony nor Yamaha had any constructive suggestions.

I just ended up running the video through HDMI directly from PS3 to the TV, and running audio from the PS3 to the receiver using component.

Leo

Second Unit
Wonder if anyone is running the audio side of HDMI and using component for the video side. I assume this is possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks