What's new

Need help, replacing a dying Marantz SR6200 (1 Viewer)

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Hi, My Marantz SR6200 appears to be dying, when playing movies i start to get some static on the speakers (like when the tv doesnt have signal but it does have both static+audio). So im here to see if you guys can help me chose between some options that i have. This is not my primary setup, i have a full HD + 7.1 setup + blueray on the living room, but the one that is dying on me is the my personal bedroom setup, where i dont have full hd tv, so most of the features of todays receivers are not that interesting to me, Component is good enough. Im powering a 5.1 JBL studio series bookshelves and a svs 25-31pci on 16x14' room. A setup that was originally intended for music (reason i picked the marantz) that over the years end up as mostly movies and games, so i want a more aggressive and detail sound than warm. A big plus or what im also looking is a decent power section, i have a Pioneer VSX-912 on computer setup, while its decent it doesn't feel it has the power that i would like for a bigger setup. I'm kinda interested on new Pioneer VSX-1120-K, but the $750 tag is kinda pushing me away, another mostly becuase of price the VSX-820 seems decent. I been reading some and the following interest me, Onkyo TX-SR608 $464 - seems to be getting good reviews, like comments about it having good amp (thing that wasnt that common back when i bough my maratz with 600 having very low real ratings). Denon AVR1910 $365 - weights a couple of pounds less than the onkyo but seems decent reciever and cheaper. Denon AVR1610 $280 - mostly of its attractive price, but also cause im only driving 5 speakers. Pioneer VSX-820-K $279 - also a 5.1 receiver, been reading some negative remarks about the amp not being that great, but still see weight similar to Denon above. I dont want to spend that much this is not a plan upgraded, but more a replacement out of my marantz going bad, im not looking to upgrade anything else anytime soon, just want my setup to work again. The highest im willing to go is $500 for the reciever, but the cheaper the better as long as it has decent power amp section the rest of features are not very important as long as it can do Dolby Digital and DTS. Thanks for any opinions or suggestions,

mouly

Grip
Real Name
Chandra
I dont know much about these receiver but you may want to explore accessories4less.com if you are interested in Refurb products. I do remember seeing a Onkyo TX-SR607 (predecessor to 608) listed there.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by mouly

I dont know much about these receiver but you may want to explore accessories4less.com if you are interested in Refurb products. I do remember seeing a Onkyo TX-SR607 (predecessor to 608) listed there.

Thanks for the reply, although i don't want to spend that much as this is not a plan upgrade but an replacement, i would prefer to stay away from refurb/recon, the main reason is im shipping it guatemala, and i want to avoid an rma or a return as it will be very costly. The other route is just sending a to repair shop the marantz, but i feel it might get close to new receiver tag price.

I have narrowed down to either Onkyo 608 and Denon 1910, both seem to get good user reviews, both weight close to 25lbs, and seem to offer a lot for the money, although the newer onkyo has some streghts on it own with better osd, probably better remote, and 2lbs heavier, while the Denons is $100 cheaper, with already a vast user tested and vouching for it, also has the mutli eq over the 2eq on the onkyo... but still haven made the final decision between the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks