What's new

Need help picking out a stereo receiver (1 Viewer)

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
I need a stereo receiver. I'm going to be feeding it with the line out from my computer's sound card. I have an audigy 2 zs. I'm planning on buying used, so it doesn't have to be a currently produced model. In fact, it would probably better if it were a few years old so that I could get a better price. I'm going to be using it to drive JBL studio series (s26) bookshelf speakers and am also going be employing my DIY adire tempest sub.

Requirements:
Must have preamp outputs so I can add an external amplifer for the mains at a later time.
Must have a subwoofer output.
There must be a crossover so that the mains won't be running at full range when I'm using my subwoofer.
I like my music loud so this thing should have headroom.

Thanks for reading my post.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
I don't know for sure but finding one with crossover might be the hardest part. Your sub amp doesn't have crossover?

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Mark,

you could connect speakers via the high level input/output on the sub to use the sub xover and prevent the mains from running full-range.

I had a NAD705 (bought used, about $90) that sounded reasonably good

Do you really need a receiver though (with tuner) won't a stereo integrated amp do?

so, on the unmentionable, unlinkable world famous auction website, look in
Consumer Electronics > Home Audio > Amplifiers > Integrated Amplifiers

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor

I won't be using the tuner so an intergrated amp would be suitable. I've been looking at receivers instead of integrated amps because receivers are normally cheaper.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
You won't find a stereo receiver with a crossover in your price range.

I hope it doesn't break any HTF rules, but I must tell you that I have a really nice stereo receiver that fits all your other requirements for sale here in the "For Sale" forum. Here is the thread if you're interested.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There aren't any inexpensive integrateds that have a sub out that I know of. You CAN use the speaker level outs to give the sub signal, however nearly all subs have a fixed high pass for the speaker level outs. It is a minor detail, but the sub pre-out on stereo receivers is full range normally, no crossover - not a problem as long as the sub has one. If that will work for you, an integrated amp would definitely be the way I would go, though you may not find many under $200 - the NAD C320BEE and Marantz PM7000 should be around $250 to maybe $300 max used.

I've used the Onkyo stereo receivers and they are pretty decent, and I've heard nothing but good things about the H/Ks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks