Need help picking a basic speaker or soundbar for my tv...

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Tommy R, May 8, 2013.

1. Tommy R

Tommy R Second Unit

Tommy
    I have a Samsung 40 inch LED HDTV. I've had it for a while now and the fact that there are no forward facing speakers is becoming more and more noticably annoying to me. I'm looking for something really basic to get, just so I can have some forward facing sound. I'm not an audiophile in any way shape or form, so it's really intimidating trying to figure out what to get and what the reasonable price should be. Plus I want to make sure that it can be connected to both my blu-ray player and directv box at the same time without having to constantly go behind my tv and unplug and replug all the time. Any help would be appreciated. :)

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Does your TV not have an optical audio output?

If it doesn't...

1. Buy a soundbar with multiple inputs, or
    2. Buy a toslink switch

To get a better idea...what TV you got? Or you can just look back there and see if you have some combination of optical/analog/headphone jack. Until we know your options...we can't recommend anything.

3. Tommy R

Tommy R Second Unit

Tommy
    Thanks for the reply! I have a digital audio out (optical), a usb port, an ex-link, a pc input w/ audio, and a dvi audio in. I use all the compontent inputs for my directv and my 1 HDMI input for my blu-ray player and my AV input for my Wii.

Just checked my original box that the tv came in, and it's a Samsung 40" LED Series 5 500. I hope that's enough info. I can scrutinize the box some more if need be if I know what info to look for.

4. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    All you need is a soundbar with an optical connection. My "recommendation" are the Boston Acoustics TVee series. I have two of these, both in bedrooms...
    http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acoustics-TVee-Model-25/dp/B004V1DAC4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1368073814&sr=1-1&keywords=boston+tvee25

The only issue with the TVee 25(have no idea if the rest suffer from this) is you have a very narrow angle for the remote to work. Since these, for me, are in a bedroom, the headboards of the beds are dead center.

5. Tommy R

Tommy R Second Unit

Tommy
    Thanks! When it comes to hooking it up, would I hook it up to my optical audio and that would let it work with anything I already have hooked up to my tv? And with your experience with this soundbar do you think I should worry about any of the negative reviews?

6. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Everything has negative reviews. I have a Netgear WNDR4500 and NOTHING wireless in my house "pops and hisses", cause I set stuff up correctly.Yes the "reviews" citing the directions for programming it to work with the TV's remote are vague. I scratched my head twice during setup of the first one. Key word there being "TV's remote". It cannot be programmed by your sat/cable remote...even though that remote works the TV volume already. Once your TV remote has programmed it, yes your cable/sat/aftermarket remote will control it. Don't ask why the "remote you use can't program it"...nobody knows that answer. And yes...all the inputs...the audio leaves over the optical.