What's new

Need help/opinions for an upgrade (1 Viewer)

cmndr brain

Auditioning
Real Name
John
First, let me apologize in advance but, I'm new to this forum and you've probably heard this thousands of times. I have been pouring over hundreds of threads, reviews, and articles looking for an upgrade to replace my Denon AVR-2105. I've narrowed it down to two receivers. The Denon 3313ci or the Yamaha RX-A1020.
I'm a huge Denon fan and my current system represents my 3rd Denon that's been flawless. I loved the sound and quality of my last 3 systems. My only reservation is that the 3313ci "seems" to have issues. Maybe I'm wrong and/or they've fixed all this with firmware updates. But, too many times I have read about people returning their 3313ci due to problems or weak/bad sound. I just don't want to fork out a ton of money for a headache and look to you guys for some help. As far as the Yamaha, I have no experience with them, but see no reason to dismiss them. Both these systems represent what I'm looking for in a new receiver (5.1 minimum, 2 hdmi outputs, wired Lan, at least 2 component in/ 1 out, at least 1 composite input and I like the ability to expand my system to 7.1 though I could care less about multi-zones) and with both of them currently priced the same, I'm having trouble deciding. Do I go with Denon who I've had a great experience in the past or do I go with Yamaha who "seem" to have less issues? Thank you.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Every AVR has problems if you look hard enough. I just had an Onkyo TX-SR707 go down with "no audio output" except with headphones using pure direct and direct.

cmndr brain

Auditioning
Real Name
John
schan1269 said:
Every AVR has problems...
I realize that. I also realize that but some brands are better than others and even some models are better than others. Pouring over many posts and reviews for both systems it "seems" that Denons quality has diminished slightly over these past years but the sound quality is still great. And it "seems" that Yamaha has a better quality product with less problems, though the sound isn't quite as good as it could be. Now, I do realize that
this is all subjective and not being able to keep up with this hobby puts me in a
position to have to ask others for their experience and opinions. I'm the type of person who has my own opinions. I love the Denon line, but I also am the type of person that can put objections aside when it comes to technology. Sometimes a certain product, no matter the specs or the looks, is just flawed. Maybe it's just a certain run or batch. I'm just trying to figure out what is best. I would prefer a Denon because I do like the specs, looks and past experience. But, I've been reading posts and reviews and find many 3313ci's being returned or complaints of problems. On the other hand there are many more posts of people loving their system. What I'm trying to figure out is, is there more complaints because Denon sold more, or are their just
more troubles with what they've sold?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Denon's major problem(and criticism) is the only AVR certified for 4ohm performance is the 4520.

The 3 series stopped being 4ohm certified back at the 3311. (Meaning 3310 is the last 3 series 4ohm certified).

Lots of speakers out there dip under 6ohm, regardless of their "compatible with 8ohm" spec. When ran hard with speakers known to drop into

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, even the lowly Onkyo TX-SR313 will tolerate 4ohm speakers. Would it be my choice to connect to a 5.0 of Magneplaners? No. But it could do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks