What's new

Need Help on Pioneer Elite VSX53 Multi Zone Setup (1 Viewer)

gtjia

Auditioning
Real Name
gary tjia
I just bought Pioneer Elite 53 and setup 5.1 in my hometheatre room, with additional speakers - Surround Back speaker terminal connected directly to my living room ceiling speakers, and Front Height speaker terminals connected directly to my dining room ceiling speakers. I need help to setup the Multi Zones 2 & 3. Using the Full Auto MCACC audio test, every connected speakers have audio. However, when I tried to turned on Zone 2 & 3, or just Zone 2 or Zone 3, there was no audio coming out of the living room or dining room speakers. I also turned off the main system to activate Zone 2, and 3, but still no audio. What did I miss with the speakers setup? How do I get the living room and dining room speakers turned on? Any advice? Thank you.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
What source(s) are you trying to listen to, and how are they connected to the Pioneer (HDMI, digital coax, digital optical, analog RCA)? My guess would be that you are using digital connections for your sources, but the Pioneer will only output analog-connected sources to Zones 2 and 3 (see the top right corner of p.3 of the manual). If this is the case, you will need to make additional analog connections for any source you wish to push to Zone 2 or 3. You really have to go to top of the line receiver models to get any that will output a digital source to a second zone. I'm not even sure there are any that will do digital to three zones (if there are, someone will chime in, but I'm sure it'll be $$$$).

gtjia

Auditioning
Real Name
gary tjia
Jason, Thank you very much for the feedback! :D You are right. They are connected via HDMI and Digital Optical. I did not realize Pioneer only output analog connected sources to Zone 2 and 3. I will add analog connections for the sources.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
gtjia said:
Jason, Thank you very much for the feedback! :D You are right. They are connected via HDMI and Digital Optical. I did not realize Pioneer only output analog connected sources to Zone 2 and 3. I will add analog connections for the sources.
Every AVR, not just Pioneer, is analog "zones"...unless you spend $1500+. I'm not even sure Integra or Pioneer/Elite even make a "digital" zone AVR...outside of the HDMI sending signal somewhere else. Yamaha has a few that will send digital to another amp for the 2nd zone. As far as an AVR self-powering Zone 2. Digital connection doesn't exist below $1500(Airplay notwithstanding...and without its own hangups) I don't even think the Denon AVR3313 does Zone2/3 digital, self-powered. The AVR4520 might. The 4311 did. But when the 4311 came out, it was the first AVR do even do anything digital with zone 2 and 3. Anytime I design a whole-home audio system, I make sure the customer realizes the AVR has to have analog for the 2nd/3rd zone. In the rare case they choose to spend $2000 on the AVR...then we'll talk digital.

gtjia

Auditioning
Real Name
gary tjia
I added the analog inputs for the CD and DVR to the Pioneer receiver. When manual Speaker System is set to Zone 2 (living room) speakers on and the main theatre room speakers are on. I can turn off the main speakers and leave Zone 2 (living room) speakers on. My living room speakers are directly connected to the Surround Back speaker terminals. However, I am not able to get the Zone 3 speakers (dining room) on unless I switch the Speaker System to B Speaker or Front Bi-Amp. My dining room speakers are directly connected to the Front Height speaker terminals. I used the front panel buttons on the receiver to select input sources, turn Multi-Zone, Zone 2 and Zone 3 on and off. Even with Zone 2&3 on, I am only able to have audio through the living room speakers. How can I get both Zone 2 and 3 speakers turned on at the same time? Also, I am able to control Zone 2 volume on the remote control by pushing Zone 2 button and Volume +/-. On the receiver display, I can see M. Volume for master volume control change and Z2 Volume for Zone 2 volume control change. However, I am not able to control Zone 3 on the remote control even pushing Zone 3 button and Volume +/-. How do I control Zone 3 volume? Please help:)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Apparently you still haven't read the manual. The VSX 53 doesn't self-power Zone 3. You need a minimum of a 9.1 AVR to do 5.1 + powered zone 2 and 3... 5+2+2=9(not 7) Return the 53 for this one... _________________________________ A "self-powering Zone 3 AVR" is not made my Elite. Return it and buy an Integra, Denon, Marantz or a Yamaha

aghabob

Auditioning
Real Name
Behrouz Haghighi
Can Pioneer Elite SC-71 support output digital-connected sources to Zone 2? If yes, which sources?
I can get sound out of Zone2 only when I use my iPhone. But I can't hear any sound from TV connected to SAT/CBL port or PC connected to HDMI 2 via RAC supported HDMI cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks