What's new

Need help hooking up TV EARS with my system...PS3 and receiver (1 Viewer)

Steven Larson

Stunt Coordinator
Hello All,

My mom is very hard of hearing, and I will often invite her over to watch movies on the 50" plasma that I bought earlier this year. I have a PS3 as my blu-ray player, and it is hooked up to my Harman Kardon AVR 230 receiver with an optical cable. She has a hard time hearing a lot of dialog. (I have used the captioning option, which works, but she would still rather hear the movie).

She has a set of TV Ears at her house, and they work very well for her (her setup is simple, just a DVD player going into her TV). So with that in mind I bought a set of the 2.3 MHz TV EARS so that my mom can have a better time listening to movies at my house.

However, I am kind of stumped right now. For regular TV, the TV Ears work fine with my tv. However, using the blu-ray is another matter, and I was hoping someone could tell me how I can hook this up.

I have a Panasonic TX-P50G10 TV, the PS3 and the HK receiver. The blu-ray connects to the receiver with an optical cable. From there I don't know how to get the audio signal from the receiver to the Panny so that the audio out on the TV can send the signal to the TV EARS receiver.

The TV EARS has an audio cable that has two RCA connectors for hooking into the audio out jacks, and which connects to the TV EARS receiver with a single jack.

I hope I have explained my situation well enough, if not, please let me know. It seems this should be a no-brainer, but I am stumped right now....

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The TV EARS has an audio cable that has two RCA connectors for hooking into the audio out jacks, and which connects to the TV EARS receiver with a single jack.
Why not just connect these to the tape output on your receiver? I would think that would do it, and make sure your mom is hearing the audio of whichever input you've selected.

Regards,

Joe

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
You need to connect analog stereo audio from your PS3 and/or TV to your receiver using the red & white RCA connections. Then connect the tape (or vcr) receiver stereo outputs to the TV-EARS. The receiver will switch the analog inputs at the same time it switches digital and HDMI inputs.

Very few, if any, receivers convert digital audio inputs to their stereo analog outputs.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Selden is right, of course. I somehow forgot that very important detail. You have to have both the analog and digital outputs connected to the receiver for my idea to work. Good catch.

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks