What's new

Need Help Hooking My New HDTV to My Receiver! (1 Viewer)

Jersey314

Agent
Real Name
Tim
Hi guys, I just got my first ever HDTV (the Panasonic TH-58PZ800U) and let me first just say, it has surpassed my greatest expectations...unbelievable!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

I'm now trying to figure out how to hook everything up to my old Denon non-hdmi receiver. As of now I have my cable box (with built in DVR) hooked directly up to my new TV via an HDMI cable. I then took regular RCA cables and connected them from the TV to my old receiver.

Unfortunately, when I do this, the sound coming out of my speakers is on a one second delay. Is this perhaps because the picture I am watching is coming via the DVR which is on a slight delay from live TV? How can I remedy this? Should I hook the cable box instead directly into the receiver via audio RCA plugs? Thanks in advance for your help guys (I'm very inexperienced with all of this)!

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Try hooking up the cable box/DVR with a digital connection (optical or digital coax) to the receiver. In the cable box setup menus, make sure the audio output is set to "Dolby Digital".

Might want to double check the speaker distance settings (delay), in the receiver's setup menus too. They need to be as close to right as possible. Some newer receivers have a "Lip Sync" feature, to help with this problem. Double check settings in tv's setup menus too, to see if something is there to help with this. It's a problem with quite a few people, but don't know the solution..........

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Only run audio cables from tv to receiver, if you're getting local channels from antenna, and want to hear them through the system speakers. If you're getting local channels in HD from an antenna, run an optical cable from tv to receiver, for the audio.

Only reason to have red & white RCA audio cables, and a yellow composite cable to tv, is to use them from cable box, straight to tv, if you're wanting to watch and listen to tv, without the surround system being on.

Jersey314

Agent
Real Name
Tim
I tried connecting the optical cord directly from the cable box to the receiver (and also from the tv to the receiver), but same result. I'm not sure what kind of settings I have in the receiver that could correct this. I don't think I have a lip sync setting. I also checked out all of the tv's and cable box's settings, but nothing works.

Jersey314

Agent
Real Name
Tim
I feel like the tv must be the problem because I never had this delay when I had the receiver hooked up to my old tv.

Jersey314

Agent
Real Name
Tim
The cable box is also new (I didn't have an HD one before) so that could also potentially be the culprit.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Does your cable box also have component video outputs? If so, try that from the box to the TV. Your cable box may be inserting a delay on the HDMI signal. You should still be able to get 1080i output from the cable box via component video.

Jersey314

Agent
Real Name
Tim
Ok, I figured out the problem (you guys are going to laugh). I had the cable box plugged into my old non-hd tivo and had the tivo plugged into the receiver (I forgot that I still had it plugged in that way). The Tivo was causing the delay. I told you guys I am new to all of this. Thanks anyway to all of you guys for trying to help me out! Don't worry, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions in the future :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks