Need help: getting a PAL VCR to work in the US

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan_M_M, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Ryan_M_M

Ryan_M_M Stunt Coordinator

A friend of mine in Holland recently sent a PAL VCR to a friend of ours in Atlanta. He managed to get the power systems changed, but I am sure (or I think) you need some sort of PAL-NTSC converter for the TV. I am not sure. Isn't their a device you need for producing PAL sources onto an NTSC TV? Or will the PAL VCR (converted to US power systems) work on its own with the TV? what equipment do we need.

2. Scott Barnhart

Scott Barnhart Stunt Coordinator

You need a PAL/NTSC convertor. I use a Tenlab TR-11 which does a reasonable job, but it was not cheap - about $700 a few years ago. They might have cheaper models. There are also other, cheaper PAL/NTSC convertors out there. Maybe try Mindlogic, which is where I bought all my PAL gear. Or, you could try EBay or other places like that for cheaper convertors. If this is just to view a limited number of tapes, it is probably cheaper to get them converted by a shop somewhere (look in the Yellow Pages under Video).

3. Ryan_M_M

Ryan_M_M Stunt Coordinator

That's a bit of a downer. In the UK, almost all VCRs and TVs support PAL/NTSC. I have no idea why American retailers rip off people like this.

4. Sathyan

Sathyan Second Unit

Could you use HTPC for this. My Pinnacle TV card lets me choose between NTSC and PAL and vid card outputs NTSC (or if I encode to MPEG and playback on Hollywood+ I can choose to output NTSC or PAL). Note: I have no PAL equipment so have not tried this.

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer