What's new

Need Help From Journey Fans (1 Viewer)

RicP

Screenwriter
Anyone that has bought the 2-CD set Essential Journey and also has either the Greatest Hits Collection from a few years ago or the Time3 Box set...
How do the sonics compare on the Essential set? Better sound? Better Mastering? Or Same Old, Same Old?
I also have a Japanese Import CD called The Journey Continues... which essentially mirrors the trakc list of Greatest Hits but to me sounds a little sharper.
Anyone able to assist me?

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Ric,

Of the three titles you mentioned, I only have the Greatest Hits album. However, there are 2 versions of the domestic Greatest Hits album. Later version of the album was remastered using Sony's SBM/Super Bit Mapping and was distinguished by a photo of the group on the back.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ric, I have both domestic versions of Greatest Hits, and the SBM version (newer version) is excellent. Definitely better than the original version, which I bought back in 1989. I haven't compared Greatest Hits to the other versions you referred to. In addition to Greatest Hits, I have the SBM version of Escape, which is also excellent. However, neither SBM CD are nearly as good as the Escape SACD. I assume you know that Greatest Hits is supposed to be coming out on SACD.

RicP

Screenwriter
. I assume you know that Greatest Hits is supposed to be coming out on SACD.
Supposed to Supposed to... :) If I got my hopes up for every title that was supposed to come out on SACD from Sony, I'd be in a perpetual state of excitement.
I take all Sony SACD announcements with a grain of salt now.
Anyway,
Yes I have the SBM version of "Greatest Hits" and the Japanese Import of "The Journey Continues" most likely used the same master, but for some reason sounds a little cleaner...I just think they stamp CD's better in Japan. Maybe a better QA process or something.
Ok, I'll try to take a listen to "Essential" at one of the listening stations in Tower.
Thanks.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ric, I certainly have become skeptical about Sony's announcements for forthcoming SACD releases. I'm not holding my breath for the Journey Greatest Hits SACD.

I too have found that Japanese CDs often sound better than those sold in the US. One would think they are using the same masters in the US and Japan, so maybe it is a QC issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks