Need help for budget 5.1

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by RedIvan, Jan 23, 2012.

1. RedIvan

RedIvan Auditioning

Not sure if this is the right forum, but here it goes: I am in the market for a budget system. My area is 18x12x8 for approx 1700 cubic feet. Sound System Budget is $700-800 (not including blue-ray) I already have a BIC Acoustech H100 (crossover is 40-150). I would like to match it with speakers and avr, keeping in mind: 1. 5.1 setup is the goal 2. prefer all hdmi connections 3. used for SD and HD through TCW box (at this time) - sports, primetime, movies 4. blue-ray will be added later - thinking about using this device for streaming movies/sports in addition to playback 5. no wall mounting (likely stands/shelf). I have not decided on specific TV model yet. Since one thing depends upon another: 1. should I get ARC? 2. leaning towards "non-smart" tv and using blue-ray or something else if I stream. I want to pull the trigger in the next week or so (super bowl tv sales!) - been watching a 22 inch tv since a September flood wiped out the finished basement. All suggestions or observations are welcome. Thanks!

2. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    For the receiver, look at the Onkyo 509/609, Denon 1612/1712, Yamaha 471/571, Pioneer 820/920. You can save a lot by buying last years model or a factory refurbished model, but always buy from an authorized dealer (to protect the warranty). Look for something with an automatic setup and eq program like Audyssey, MCACC, YPAO, et. Don't get anything without it. Ac4l.com carries Denon, Onkyo and Marantz refurbs while , Dakmart.com and ecost.com carry Denon. Ac4l.com has the Denon 1611 and 1612 as refurbs for $219 + sh. Speakers are a harder recomendation because you may not like the way the ones we recommend sound. But here are the favorites for those on a budget. Polk Monitors from Newegg.com The Monitor 30's, 40's and CS1 would make a nice little speaker setup. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=100006531&isNodeId=1&Description=+polk+monitor&x=20&y=7 For something small. The Energy Classic 5 Pack http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Take-Classic-Pack-Theater/dp/B0021L9BME/ref=sr_1_6?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1327366108&sr=1-6 or the Boston CS23B 5.1 system. You can sell the sub for $50-$75. http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acoustics-CS2310B-Classic-System/dp/B001GIOSWG/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1327366189&sr=1-1 Frys also has the older (but better) Polk RTi series speakers on sale in-store. Give them a look. RTi6's, RTi4's and a CSi3 would make a great little speaker system, but they are a bit on the bright side. The Infinity Primus series is much warmer and softer but it might be tough to put together a system at your budget. They aren't as heavily discounted as Polks are. If you're not afraid to buy used you can get some killer deals on craigslist. Just make sure they aren't too old and are in great shape. Here in the S.F. Area there's an Athena 5 speaker package with front and rear towers for $500 but I bet he'd take $425-$450.

3. RedIvan

RedIvan Auditioning

would denon 1612/1712 and JAMO S606HCS3 go well with the H100 sub?

4. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    The H100 subwoofer has a frequency response of 24-200 so it would work well with just about any speaker package. But speakers can sound very different from one another. You should find a way to listen to as many different ones as you can before deciding. Fry's used to have a similar pair of Jamo's in their store.