What's new

Need help finding a projector while keeping current setup (1 Viewer)

AngryJoe

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Lassberg
I'm not sure if this is something that can be done, but I hope one of you fellas can help me! I bought a house a few months ago, and the previous owners had a projector home theater room built. They left behind the seating (2 rows of leather theater style recliners, 3 seats each - with the back one elevated), the screen (measurements 48" x 86" - roughly 98-99" diag), and some really nice shelving along the back wall which includes a compartment (about 85" off the ground) to house a projector. I'd love to be able to just find a projector to toss in there and leave everything else as is, but I'm having a really tough time finding one that can project a 99" diagonal image size approx 14'10" from the front of the lens. I didn't do enough homework up front and bought an Epson 2030, but the image it's making at that distance is much larger than my screen.

Any advice here would be VERY much appreciated. My google skills are failing me and I can't seem to find a way to reverse search a projector that will fit that criteria.

Some additional information (if needed)... the screen is 3'10" off the ground and my ceiling is about 9'8" or so, but the ceiling is angled such that the highest I can mount the screen that 3'10".

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
AngryJoe said:
Very much appreciated Sam!

If I understand the calculator correctly, would this also work?

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_8350-projection-calculator-pro.htm
If for some really stupid reason you want an LCD projector over DLP. Sure.

Why do you want LCD?

Is it motion control? Nope, can't be. DLP blows LCD away.
Is it contrast? Nope, can't be. LCD loses to comparably prices DLP.
Is it 3D? Nope, can't be. DLP don't have cross talk issues.
Is it gaming? Nope, can't be. There is no DLP slower than the fastest LCD.

The only issue with DLP is RBE. But that is darn near a non-issue the last two years(not saying it won't be for you...but where 15% of people "saw the rainbow" less than 4 years ago. The wheels have sped up to the point it is now less than 5%)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I suggest reading some indepth reviews, put the projector you are interested in the search browser of this site below.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/projector-categories/home-theater-projectors/

Some DLP projectors are only 900:1 native contrast, in every field except black level they are great, for me i think they need to get nearer 2000:1 to be acceptable, that is cinema DLP contrast levels, even then the native black level of a Panasonic AE-8000, that's with iris off, ( around 6000:1 ) beats the DLP's, but yes in all other aspects of performance the DLP projectors rule the roost, now having said all that i think Intra-scene contrast is important and DLP's generally do great here too.

Shame the Benq 7500 isn't out yet and reduced in price as early reviews suggest it has around 90% better native contrast than the 7000 model and it approaches that 2000:1 native contrast level i mention earlier in my post, the Benq W7000 might make you happy, if you buy it learn how to get into the secret menu and clamp the iris down for improved contrast.

What has not been discussed is the screen and room, just like with sound the room can play a huge part in all this and the image you experience, light coloured walls and ceiling, especially the ceiling, have a major impact on the image, you lose so much if the room is not treated and even the screen can be detrimental to the image, some screens hold onto their contrast better than others, they are not cheap though, i wouldn't rule out a decent LCD projector, all current technology has good points and bad points, motion on an LCD is every bit as good as the JVC DiLA projectors, as it should since they are derivative of LCD tech.

Having said all of the above i can add that i personally would never buy another LCD projector, i am fed up of cleaning dust blobs and the uniformity issues, that doesn't mean you will suffer any of that, plenty of satisfied LCD projector owners, for myself i value 3D so would indeed go DLP for any new projector or maybe even the new Optoma LED HD91 if it could produce the light output needed, still you likely have a budget, stick to it and i'm sure you will find a projector you can enjoy.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
With that shelf setup, you need a projector with lens shift. Other than the Benq W7000, the choices are all LCD.What is your budget?If you increased your screen size, you would have more projector choices.

AngryJoe

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Lassberg
schan1269 said:
If for some really stupid reason you want an LCD projector over DLP. Sure.

Why do you want LCD?

Is it motion control? Nope, can't be. DLP blows LCD away.
Is it contrast? Nope, can't be. LCD loses to comparably prices DLP.
Is it 3D? Nope, can't be. DLP don't have cross talk issues.
Is it gaming? Nope, can't be. There is no DLP slower than the fastest LCD.

The only issue with DLP is RBE. But that is darn near a non-issue the last two years(not saying it won't be for you...but where 15% of people "saw the rainbow" less than 4 years ago. The wheels have sped up to the point it is now less than 5%)
Thanks for the insights, those are all very good points. Definitely something to consider when making my next purchase.
I suggest reading some indepth reviews, put the projector you are interested in the search browser of this site below.
http://www.projector...ter-projectors/
Excellent, thank you! I'll check that out.
With that shelf setup, you need a projector with lens shift. Other than the Benq W7000, the choices are all LCD.

What is your budget?

If you increased your screen size, you would have more projector choices.
That's kind of the rub. I was trying to put something together fairly inexpensively. We had planned on spending under $1500 for the projector, and that is very much going to limit what we're going to get.

I did a little digging around on the lens shift feature, and you're right, it looks like that's going to be a requirement for my setup.

I may look into getting a bigger screen as a last resort, but if I don't have to replace the one that's already there I don't want to.

Thanks again for all your assistance!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
You probably don't want to do this, BUT if you used a ceiling mount, closer to screen, you would have many more projector options.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks