What's new

Need help finding a A/V Switch Box (1 Viewer)

Jason Link

Auditioning
I'm looking for a SVHS switch box that has one output and at least 5 inputs. I need all inputs to be SVHS as I have lots of gaming consoles that need to be hooked up and they all have s-video cables.I'm also trying to hook up my satellite system but until I get a bigger switch box it is on hold. I would like to find a 8 input switch box but a 5 input would do the job. I have done some searches on the net and have found nothing. Do they even make a switch box that big?

Jason Link

Auditioning
Ok, I finally found a 5 input and the price is right so I'll probably just get that one since I'm getting no replies and can't find anything with more inputs on my own.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Jason: sorry you did not get replies. I just found your post and usually dont let things drop off.
So for the education of others, what device did you find and where/how much was it?
I dont have my Markertek catalog handy, but they sell lots of this kind of stuff to the broadcast industry. Try Markertek and do a search for "Video Switchers".
I found the OMX-9054 8 in, 4 out for $322
OMX-9051 8 in, 1 out mechanical for $199
Both of these offer audio & SVideo switching.
Note: the pro gear calls SVideo "Y/C" sometimes so look for this to get the proper connection type.

Jason Link

Auditioning
No problem, I'm just glad I found one.:)I found it on EBGames.com site of all places. It's far from top of the line but my budget is not very big so it will have to do for now. It's made by Interact and retails for $19.99.

HowardGjr

Stunt Coordinator
Just for anybody searching later on:

Parts Express:
#180-938 39.95
This selector switch can select up to five different audio/video components and two different outputs. The two outputs can connect either to a TV to watch a desired program or to a VCR to record the desired program. Inputs and outputs use either line-level (RCA type plug) or S-Video equipped components such as digital satellite, DVD, etc. Five switches on the front allow you to select a source and the sixth switch lets you choose between the two outputs. When using s-video, you have to have s-video inputs in order to have s- video outputs. Equipped with a stereo earphone jack on the front.

Too bad it doesn't have one more input. You could use it to switch DVD-A and SACD into a receiver or an ICBM. Would have made a compact alternative to the Radio Shack dual switch option.

Parts Express also offers a 4 In/ 1 Out S-Video switch.

JohnTKline

Stunt Coordinator
Wal mart has a good one in the video game accesories section with labeled buttons for your gaming system or home theater components.

John

Jon-C

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone noticed a loss in video quality using a switch box compared to a direct connection to monitor? I plan to use it for DVD, satellite, and a future SVHS upgrade.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
These are switch box's, not splitters.

As long as you have good connections, there should be no visible difference running through a decent switch with SVideo.

Stephen_Ri

Stunt Coordinator
What would be considered a "decent" switch box? I've got a $20 Pelican one from wal-mart myself, and I'm thinking about getting the ps2 monster cables and routing them through the switch box, and using high quality cables on the switchbox output, but I'm worried that I will lose quality in the switch. I know you always loose some quality in a switch, but do you think it will be anything noticable?

Stephen

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks