Need Help filling out first job application.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Travis D, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Travis D

Travis D Second Unit

I just got an application for Blockbuster and this would be my first job. I would like suggestions for how far I could stretch things like "Special Training." I'd say I know more about computers, movies, home theater, and video release dates than 90% of current Blockbuster employes. But that would be bragging. [​IMG]
    If anything at all, just tell us about your first job application and anything you put on it that was out of the norm.

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

by all means...brag but don't sound cocky! you'll have to include a resume! use words like strong, in-depth, above-average, etc
    as this is your first job, you should orient your resume in such a way that it highlights your hobbies and interests, etc. hopefully you've got a decent gpa? if so, put that on there too...an employer will take that into consideration.
    but, for sure...have some section called "hobbies & interests" or something like that. that's where you'll shine and really show that you know your movie stuff. use bullet points and do something like:
    • DVD: strong knowledge of current and future releases
    • Technology: in-depth understanding of dvd technology and terminology
    • Computers: strong working skills with [insert pc format here]
    stuff like that should work. if you'd like, contact me once you finish your resume and i'll be more than happy to help critique it for ya! [​IMG]
    oh yeah...if you go for an interview...for heaven's sake...dress nicely. you may not need a tie, but don't wear jeans, tennis shoes or a t-shirt. doc martins or something similar, khaki pants and a button down long-sleeve shirt!
    ------------------
    "The ship of death has a new captain." - nosferatu (1922)

3. Travis D

Travis D Second Unit

My GPA is on average in the 3.6 to 3.8 area and I know the value of first impressions when it comes to dressing up.
    I would really like to know where I could find a good outline of a resume if you know one Ted. Maybe someone else knows where I could find one. I want this very badly.
    And if anyone wants to know why I want to work at BB it's because you have to be over 18 to wok at Staples, Circuit City, Comp USA, Movie Gallery, and Sears.

4. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

Travis:
    I truely belive that you will get the job... serious!
    If you are a member of the HTF, you are educated and civilized enough to go waaay past the othr candidates.
    Shake hands, make eye contact, be confident and it yours!
    Good luck!
    ------------------
    RIGHT ... CHEERS!
    http://www.geocities.com/asavin70

5. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

6. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Yes, people in Personel are usually very superficial. Dress very nice and accordingly.
    ------------------
    "I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
    "Stranger things have happened..." - Wes Deskins
    "It's not Pikeville, Kentucky. It's Pikevool!!! And it's not Louisville, it's Loolvool!!! Get it right, damnit!!!"
    My DVD Collection

7. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Uhh...this is for a part time...minimum wage job at a video store right? If so don't worry about a resume...don't worry about getting all spiffy and dressed up (don't look like a bum, just look normal). Just fill out the application and be honest. Unless you are looking for a career in scanning bar codes on tape boxes you really don't have to worry about it. Hell for my first job at McDonalds when asked why I wanted the job I said because I need money. Which was the truth...they don't care they need need warm bodies to do the work noone else wants to do.
    Oh and because you work at blockbuster that does not mean you are in the movie business. There is a music store here where the employees are so stuck up and high and mighty thinking about themselves its sickening. They think they are in the "music biz" because they work a minimum wage job as stockboys and cashiers at a music store.
    Don't mean to sound cruel, but it is just a part-time job. You'll make some cash, maybe meet some new people, and maybe develop some work ethics of some kind, but don't expect to get much more out of it than that.

8. Travis D

Travis D Second Unit

Hehehe... I know it's not the movie buisness. [​IMG] I'm not looking to be the next Tarantino. (especially not at acting.) But at 17, I do like the idea of working next to one of my great loves. The fact that you get 5 rentals a week free doesn't hurt either. Still, I have a personal motto that I keep to in everything I do: "Buisness first, pleasure second; but it's a VERY close second." I figure that has always kept me level headed.
    Also, on the field: "Wanted Position" and "Expected Pay", how would I word that and not come off sounding like a jackass who wants too much or too little money?
    [Edited last by Travis D on October 29, 2001 at 09:41 PM]
    [Edited last by Travis D on October 29, 2001 at 09:45 PM]

9. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

Don't ever turn in an application without first arranging a meeting with the manager (or whoever does the hiring) or at least handing it directly to the manager. Otherwise, apps typically go to some place never to be seen again.
    Brian
    ------------------
    Zed's Dead Baby...

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

no disrespect to mike but i disagree with what he's saying.
    yes, this is only a part-time job, and no, it's not going to be your career (unless you get into management or something) but that doesn't mean you shouldn't take the interview and application seriously. it's still a job you're trying to get and (if hired) the business is relying on you to be professional and responsible.
    i used to tell my employees "you get out of a job what you want to - no more, no less" (or something like that). i would never chastise a lazy employee, but the ones that worked hard, etc. got all my perks.
    to look for a good resume format, just go to any bookstore and check out some of the books on resume writing. they usually have lots of different formats, one of which will definitely fit your bill. there's probably some on-line sites too...
    for wanted position (if you don't care) put "any". for expected pay, i'd post here first to see what the "average" salary is for blockbuster employees. if you get an answer, go for somewhere around there. if you don't get an answer or you're not comfortable, put "open" in there. i imagine you'd probably get a little over minimum wage, but i'm not sure.
    hope that helps - you sound pretty level headed and i think you'll do fine. [​IMG]
    ------------------

11. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

this is a fun thread - i like hearing other people strategies when interviewing

13. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

14. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

excellent advice ryan! [​IMG]
    ------------------

15. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

16. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter