What's new

Need help: EAD Encore or Outlaw 950 (1 Viewer)

Keir H

Second Unit
Having trouble deciding on which to move to and was hoping I could get a little recommendation. Used Encore for bout the same price as a 950. The ENcore can be upgraded, but I don't quite have the room for ES, EX anyway. Looking for the best for the money though. I have a HK 2.0 that sounds great and is a real improvement on my older Tech/AVP1 setup for music and movies. Decision, decisions. The upgrade bug just won't stop biting. :) Am I just fine where I am at? (HK 2.0, HKPA5800, JVC 723 GD, Def Tech BP30's, 25-31.) I am really tempted to go "high-end" and get the EAD. I heard it once matched with the PM1000 and it was specatular. Is the 950 considered to be high-end? Even at it's great price? Oh! 70/30 movies to music.

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
Keir, I have heard good things about the Encore but have no personal experience to offer. The fact that the Encore can be upgraded is a major bonus. EAD pre/pro's are very good with 2 channel from what I've heard.

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
If the encore has the features you want, then I would go that route.
While the 950 is a great bang for the buck piece, I don't think anyone will ever consider it a high end piece (except for those that own them) ;) I also think the encore would sound better, but that is pure speculation.
As mentioned earlier, the encore can also be upgraded which is a huge plus. While there has been speculation that the 950 could be upgraded, no formal mention of doing so has been made by Outlaw. And at the price, I wouldn't expect them to. They would be better off to just release a newer, updated version.

W

Will

What you should get may depend on how much you want to spend, which pre/pro features are must-haves for you, what type of sound you like, what amp and speakers you are using, aesthetic issues, etc. There are many good pre/pro's to choose from, besides EAD and Outlaw.

I don't quite have the room for ES, EX anyway.

If you have a two channel set up, you may wish to consider a pre-amp rather than a pre/pro.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
i would recommend that you go for the best sounding 5.1 pre/pro you can find. If the newest sound formats are not your main selling point, then why even bother going with units that are not going to have the same musicality as older processors. A couple that you can check out are (I dont really know your budget, but I am throwing out few numbers here):

Marantz AV9000 ~900 used

EAD Encore ~1200 used

Citation 5.0 ~1000 used

Aragon Stage One ~1400 used

Proceed AVP ~2000 used

Sunfire Theater Grand II ~2100 used

Anthem AVM2 ~1300 used

EAD Ovation ~2000 used

With all of these preamps, you get superior 2 channel and 5.1 channel performance, and with the exception of the Marantz, the Citation and the Anthem, they all have upgrade options should the upgrade bug hit. If you never are going into 7..1, then I would highly recommend the Citation. A steal at a grand, and it also has Logic 7, which is still the best multi channel extraction logarithm on the planet. Check out Audiogon or even some the classifieds here to find one you are looking for.

Keir H

Second Unit
Question for ya chung...I did not know that the Citation 5.0 had Logic 7. I do know it's under the same umbrella as Lexicon however. Isn't it 6-axis? Is that the same, just renamed? Does the Encore have any DSP's for sat movie watching? I do have a 5 channel setup, but in an apartment don't have room for ES, EX..I wish though! :) The Encore is intriguing. Cause I have heard that if a piece has great 2-channel, 5 ch should be stellar too. True? Does it compete with Theta and Krell ect...?? I also think that I am in a revolving situation too with my amp (HKPA5800) which I think would degrade the sound of the Outlaw 950 or even more so the Encore. SO amp has to be upgraded too to stay abreast. ARRgghhh. It never ends. Fun though! Thanks for the recommendations too. I have a HK 2.0 and I heat that the digital and video sections are the same as the Citation 5. So that would not be much of an upgrade?

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Going fro the HD 2.0 to the 5.0 is a huge upgrade. yese, they look the same, and are even built by the same company, but it is like comparing a Toyota Avalon to a Lexus LS400. One just has better components and is made in a more refined manner. i am not sure it the encore has dsp modes, it might have a couple, I am not really sure, but you can find out easily if you do some research on either audioreview or ecoustics. I am not sure it logic 7 is the same as 6-axis, I think that it is, but the Citation 5 had it long before lexicon did. I believe that citation is liscensing out their dsp format since they are no longer making processors. In terms of competing with Theta or Krell, I would say that the Encore is probably not as clean at delivering the signal, and the power supply is probably a notch below Theta and Krell, but you have to remeber that these other processors are probably three times as much for a 15% improvment. As for your amp, I would look around for a used Rotel or Marantz 5 channel. The rotel is a little bit cleaner, but then again, it also is more expensive. The Marantz is a hell of a piece for the money, though, I own one and it never ceases to amaze me. Very punchy and accurate, but not as neutral as the Rotel. You can find either a 5x125 Rotel or the Marantz used for around 600, in which case they're a steal. I too am waiting for the arrival of my Outlaw 950, and If it isnt as good as advertised, I will probably to with the new Anthem. I have always liked their gear.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
You might also consider the Sony TA-E9000ES pre amp...stellar in 5.1 modes and can do a matrixed 6.1 from 5.1 speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks