What's new

need help deciding on right blu-ray player (1 Viewer)

sonybluray

Auditioning
Real Name
Alan Curry
I am somewhat new to the audiophile stuff...I had a simple Bose Lifestyle system previously, seemed to do its job quite well...

I just purchased and hung my new Sony 46" LCD Z-series tv...with it, I got the Sony HTSS2000 surround sound theater system. I thought the system had a blu-ray player in it....I was wrong when I unpacked it. I set it up anyway with HDMI cables - the pic is awesome and the sound is fantastic.

My question now is...what inexpensive - but NICE blu-ray player can I go for to complement the up-converting SS2000 Sony system?? Obviously I will be connecting the new blu-ray with another HDMI connection...but I am having trouble finding the 'right one'.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hi Alan,

Good news and bad news. First the bad. You system does not decode HD formats so you can't get the 'cheaper' Blu-Rays. The good news is it does accept 5.1 LPCM via HDMI, so you can get a player that will work for you.

I like the Panasonic BD35 (I have the BD30). Look around - any player that decodes HD audio will work.

Off topic: So you are saying the cheap Sony HTiB sounds better than the BOSE? It's just amusing and no, I'm not surprised.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

sonybluray

Auditioning
Real Name
Alan Curry
thanks for the info, and sorry if I sound stupid, but why does the ss2000 say it can 'upconvert' blu-ray?? you are saying it can't decode? what does that mean?? and, what do you mean that I can find a blu-ray 'that will work' with my system??

yes, the sony speakers sound better than the bose system, albeit, I had one of the first bose surround system lifestyles - going back 5 years ago...so I am sure they have improved tremendously since then.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I second the Panasonis BD35. I'm on the hunt for a 55 but they're getting hard to find. Maybe I'll wait and see what OPPO come up with.

sonybluray

Auditioning
Real Name
Alan Curry
these panasonics support 7.1 but my sony system only supports 5.1.......will it still work? thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it as I am learning all this stuff.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Ya, $499 is way too much for a cheap son-of-a-gun like me to pay. I read somewhere that the production run is over and they may not make any more. That's why they're so expensive. Vanns lists it for $399 but they're out of stock (of course).

Hogie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hogarth
I haven't bought a blu-ray yet, either. I read a lot of good stuff about the Panasonic. But if it's unavailable, where should I look? I was looking at the Pio and Pio elites, there available everywhere, but they're gonna get an upgrade also, from what I hear. How do you feel about the new BD2.0 stuff?

chris.big.money

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Walter
How about a PS3? It decodes the formats internally and can get firmware upgrades to make it complete with the latest specs. Of course knowing the expertise on this forum i don't have to tell any of you that. haha.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Your experience with the Bose Cubes is similar to many who brought the system. Bose only made one good product and that was the old 901 that was difficult to set up right in the average room. I bet you went to a Bose store and were impressed with the slick sound demo they put on with specially produced music clips. They never were receptive to you playing any of your own music on their system.

troy evans

Screenwriter
I'm considering the Denon DVD-1800BD player for my HT and moving my current Samsung BD-P1500 to the bedroom. The Denon's not a cheap player, but, a damn nice one. If you want the Panasonics Crutchfield.com has them in stock. Both DMP-BD35 and DMP-BD55 models.

trimule

Auditioning
Real Name
Lewis
My Panasonic B35 is fantastic. My local Costco has a stack of them but I have seen others say they are hard to find or sold out in their area. Even with a 50 off (reg. 279) coupon this month, they didn't sell out locally.

craig_curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Craig
a friend has a Panasonic BD35 and really likes it, and I have a PS3 as both game machine and Blu-Ray. Happy with the quality of it too, plus it seems way faster to load up than the BD35 does, IMHO. But I think either one and you can't go wrong.

hockeymask

Auditioning
Real Name
David Rojas
I've had my Panasonic BD35 for 3 months now and am very happy with it. Loading time is much faster than most other BD players and really isn't that slow. I also have a Denon 1909 receiver and together watching blue ray movies is almost better than going to the movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks