What's new

Need help deciding on Low-Cost 5.1 Setup (1 Viewer)

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
Hey guys. Before anyone flames this I searched and the results were vague to say the least, so here we are. Im looking for a low cost 5.1 setup. Definately less than $400, preferably cheaper. Its going in a 10x10 room so it doesn't need to be big. Its only going to need to last for a year or so, nothing long term. They will be paired with an Onkyo 600 receiver and if need be a Sony SAWM40 sub. Here are some options that Ive come up with so far:

-Onkyo HT500
-Fluance AV-HTB
-Fluance SX-HTB (I thought these were a worthy upgrade over the AV's because of the binding posts and better stats)
-Used if I can find them Paradigm Mini-Monitors v2 to go with my CC-370.

Thats pretty much all that Ive come up with so far. If anyone has opinions or suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

JustinG

Stunt Coordinator
I can vouch that the Fluance speakers sound awesome, especially for the price. But, their set does not include a sub. You'd have to get one of those separately. That is their only drawback. I think though, they are adding a sub to their sets later this summer.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Check out the Acoustic Research HC6 system. Very fine sound in the sub $500 range. This system can be found for under $400 (and I’ve read some claims of close to $300—but I have not seen that price myself).

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Alex_Santos,

JBL is a good manufacurer, that has being in the speaker buisness for quite some time. JBL has a good entry level, in the Northbrige Series, they have a really good speakers set very affordable, this could be easily your best bet, and I have read a lot of post last year, about pair them with an Onkyo SR600 with great results,

JBL NSP1II 5-Piece Home-Cinema Speaker Package $209

I dont know if you already have the Sony SA-WM40, but if dont, you can get a

Sony SA-WM500 150 Watt Active Subwoofer $135

+ Shipping $64
Total = $408

Hope it helps,

Good luck on your speaker hunt,
Pablo

Mark Dickerson

Stunt Coordinator
Alex:

For just a few dollars more, One Call (www.onecall.com) has a great system for $590, that is made for your receiver--five NHT SuperZeros with a Phase Tech Power 8 sub.

The SuperZeros have been on Stereophile's Recommended Components list for several years. Their small size is perfect for your room. The Phase Tech sub is easily better than your Sony sub and I think is a low cost champ. However, if you want to stay with your $500 budget, just get the five NHT speakers from One Call. They are priced at something like $87 each.

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
I've got a set of sx-htb in my 400sq ft. basement and I haven't decided yet if I need a sub. The floor standing mains put out alot of bass so in a 100sq ft. room I doubt you'd need a sub.
My friends who have come over and heard my system are impressed with it's sound quality.
That said, esthetically I might go for a smaller set of speakers in a small room.
http://www.geocities.com/ianfl2003/photopageceltic.html

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
The Super Zeros are a good option. You also might want to look into some Infiniy IL10s. These are older model refurb speakers, that can be found on HarmanAudio's Ebay store. They are not small bookshelf speakers and weigh about 20lbs each. The one set I received, appeared to be brand new, with no indication of prior use. Not even one small scratch and the rubber feet were not installed. I quickly won another pair of IL10s and a pair of IL30s. They are due to arrive this week, and can let you know if they arrive in similar condition. While the last few weeks, the IL10s have been bid upto $125, they are usually won at about $100. I believe, they sold new for $400 a pair. Three pairs for $300 plus $75 shipping, leaves some room for a sub, and you are 6.1 ready or have a spare :)

As far as sound, the IL10s sound pretty neutral to my ears. Slightly bright, without the grills, but if new, not broken in. They were plenty good enough to fill-out a basement hang-out room.

Set of new HK4 and HK6 speakers seem to go at reasonable prices on ebay, as well. I haven't heard them, and haven't found any meaningful reviews, either. Good luck with your search.

JohnS

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Sherwood 6108, JBL NSP-1s, and a Sony WM40 sub should put you real close to the $500 price, funny part is that the sub is only one of three that I ever see for save used and you won't really save that much (usually about $20-30 cheaper for a used sub).

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
Thanks for the replies everyone, I really appreciate.

Im really trying to stay under $400 on this, preferably lower. I also already own a Sony WM40 and an Onkyo 600 so there is no need for a receiver or a sub. Just speakers.

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
Don't know if you are considering the Infinity Interludes, but received my IL30s last night. Unpacked and set-up. These are new units, not refurb. Unfortuneatly, we were out of power due to the storm, and could not listen to them. The last set of IL10s are due for arrival today.

JohnS

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
Well I just found a sale at Best Buy on the Acoustic Research HC6 for 300. Its online only as far as I know. So I think its down to these and the Onkyo's for $200. Which should I choose?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Alex, I have not heard the Onkyo’s—but I would be very surprised if they were the equal of the HC6s. You can’t go wrong with these for $300.

Cliff L

Grip
I'm especially interested in what recommendations people have as well since I'm in a similar boat. My wife & I just bought a new house and I'm wanting to upgrade my home theater setup. The living room in the new house is 22'x17'. I also was considering the Fluance SX-HTB but it seems like the NHT SuperZeros or SuperOnes or HC6s should be the way to go.

I'm currently running a Pioneer VSX-409 receiver paired with 4 KLH L853B bookshelf speakers and a Technics center channel and Sony SA-WM40 sub. Yeah I know, I need some *serious* speaker upgrades. Budget is the same as Alex.

Although do y'all think it's a better idea to continue using the KLHs as rears and get some better fronts & center channel? That way I could spend a bit more on those 3 speakers for now and upgrade the rears later. If so, what should I get? I probably use my HT setup for about 60% movies, 40% music.

kevin tate

Stunt Coordinator
Fluance has a subwoofer on their site right now for $199. It's a 10" w/150W. That's all the detail they gave on their site.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Although I don't have experience with your particular system I applaud your choice of separates as opposed to going with a HTiB. I too found this forum extremely helpful when I was installing a HT in my bedroom and more recently when I upgraded my old family room Sony Pro Logic system to a 5.1 system. Prior to finding out about this forum, I was seriously leaning toward a $300-$600 HTiB. I'm glad I took these folks advice and went with separates.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks