What's new

Need help deciding on an AVR amp for my theater...pls! (1 Viewer)

jhs3

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Hi, I have been in the process of turning my basement into a dedicated home theater room & would greatly appreciate your expert advice / opinion. My dilemma is this: I cannot decide & honestly, do not know which of these AVR rcvrs is best for my setup. I currently have Def Tech BP7002 for my front Lft & Rt channel & a Def.Tech C/L/R 2300 as my center channel. My L & Rt surrounds are Def.Tech. BP6B. Also connected into the setup is:, my Blu Ray player: an Oppo Bdp-103. (which prob. accounts for 85+% of my theater use). Anyhow, on to my question. I have a Cambridge Audio Azur 640R & a Denon AVR 2312CI... which of these 2 Avr rcvrs do I go with? & would be best suited to drive my speakers? Any help &/or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Since the speakers are 8 ohms, any industry standard amp will drive the speakers just fine. Both of the amps will be fine, so I'd try both of them and see if you like the sound better from one or the other.

Because of the integrated subwoofer you have the added decision of how to handle the LFE crossover. If you are going to only use the sub in the amp, then it's pretty much a toss-up. *If you are a real stickler for manual tweaking, you might care whether the receiver combines the LFE with the main channel and lets the speaker separate them again, or whether the receiver keeps them separate and the speaker combines the main channel LFE and the individual LFE. I'm thinking it's a wash, but if you want to have the option you'll need a receiver that allows 'Large' and 'LFE On'. The Cambridge allows that, the Denon doesn't specify in the manual what it allows.

If you are also going to use a sub, then you want to make sure that the receiver allows you to set the mains to large and still routes the LFE to the sub. So again the Cambridge is okay and the Denon is inconclusive based on the manual.

jhs3

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Thank you very much Al for taking the time to post your thoughts on this & to help me out here; it is certainly appreciated. -I believe that I am going to take your advice and listen to both of them, if only to see if one sounds any better to me than the other. I also appreciate you helping me understand about the additional LFE input on my speakers; as I honestly have been curious as to if it would be beneficial for me to run an additional LFE/RCA cable to my main front & center channel speakers; as well as what exactly I would have gained in doing so? I seem to recall having read something in my owners manual stating that the additional LFE inputs were used with Dolby DTS but were not absolutely necessary? Anyhow, thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread