What's new

Need help convincing myself to go with an iPhone! (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I am a self employed freelance designer. I have a 4 or 5 year old Razr on AT&T that still works, though the original battery charge time has gone shorter and shorter!

I work out of my home studio a lot, so I have internet access on the desktop and laptop via my Airport base station. I do work outside at times with my laptop at a client's studio. And with Leopard, I just finally got onto a client's Windows network and used their printers, pretty neat!

So I thought it might be a good time to go with a new 3Gs iPhone. Most of my clients use them. But it seems overkill for my needs. Since I get email at home and don't use the cell phone in my home office, unless a client calls my cellphone.

I spoke to my accountant who also uses one! She loves it, but says I can only write-off a percentage of it's use for business, since it would be used for personal calls too.

So it seems a lot of the usage could be for fun and for personal communication via apps like Ping and downloading email. There are Paint and Drawing apps I want to use for my work. The camera with the higher rez could be very helpful when visiting clients and taking pics of the stuff I'm designing.

Also I am interested in the iPad too. And if I got an iPhone, it's got 3Gs, so I figure it would be a waste to pay for a 3Gs version of the iPad and would go with a 3Gs iPad, but not use it for 3Gs, unless I really needed it. But I figure I have wi-fi and can use the iPad that way. So a non-3Gs version makes more sense.

The main thing that holds me back is the cost of the data plan. Of course, I realize one job I'm doing now would pay for it. And assuming I keep working, it becomes a cost of doing business.

So, the only really good reason to get an iPhone is that I just want one! And it would be a tool for my business as I do need to have a cell phone. So it would a fun gadget for non-work times. I don't talk on my cell phone that much, and the emissions from a cell phone scare me, and I limit my use and use a headset. The main thing for me is the use of the internet access and drawing apps, and drawing should be better on the larger iPad.

I suppose though for what I do, being in the hi-tech world a lot, I might look too out of touch without one! And it would be fun to outrun my non-iPhone friends who use other devices when accessing movie times and stuff like that though!

Thanks!

PS, I forgot to add, I realize the 4G iPhone is months away with likely improved performance and a possible new design. I thought it might be better to sit out that iteration for an improved version of that one when my 2 year contract expires.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Get a solid, reliable, boring, cheap phone on Verizon.

Get an iPad with unlimited 3g for $30 a month when they come out.

Best of both worlds. As a designer you will be much happier showing off your work on the big screen.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
From what I understand of your needs and purposes, I agree with Sam.

If you do need everywhere internet, you could get the MiFi from Verizon and use it with your laptop, a regular iPad, and so on.

If you were to get an iPhone, I would wait for (assumed) upcoming revision. My opinion: once over halfway to the next revision, wait for it before locking in for two years.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah actually Apple is almost "locked in" to upgrading the iPhone every year because every summer a lot of people who bought the iPhone, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS on release months are entering their renewal cycle. So Apple needs to release a new product or risk them moving to another smart phone. So I'd be willing to bet that in June/July we'll see another iPhone rev...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
You guys are no fun!

If I didn't get one, I can just get a new battery for my Razr and keep using that.

What I am partly dealing with is I'm working on a project now where having it would be beneficial for reference. I can't get more into that.

Maybe I could ask those out there with an iPhone what top 4 or 5 things you find very useful and beneficial with having an iPhone. Could be how it helps you at work or for work, what you think you can't live without if someone took it away from you! What top apps you find essential for your day to day stuff, work stuff, fun stuff. What do you find yourself typically doing with it everyday?

About the update in June/July, I am not as concerned about that. And maybe I should be. But I am thinking I may wait this new iteration out for one year. If it's a totally new processor, or some other issue, I don't want to get something that might have a few bugs.

Thanks!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Here are the ten apps (I started to do 4-5 as you asked but realized these 10 are the best reasons for me to own an iPhone):

1. Google Maps, including traffic. I'll be really sad if the rumors about Apple eventually replacing this with something non-Google. This is my most used non-email function, by a long, long stretch.
2. Work Email - successfully hooked it up to my work's Exchange server, even without paying for the additional Exchange service from AT&T. Not only my work email, but my work calendar syncs!
3. Ripping movies to my iPhone. Handbrake + Mac + iPhone = AWESOME
4. Yelp - if you like the website, you'll love the app.
5. Quicktip - especially with the built in tax calculation. Don't you hate it when you get the final bill and all it has is the grand total without the tax broken out, so you don't know what the pre-tax amount was for tip calculation? This app takes care of that for you.
6. Voice memos - as an aspiring writer, it is great to be able to record my thoughts and observations as they come up
7. Amazon - app works in some ways better than the website (especially handling the wish list)
8. Where - best way to find cheap gas in places I am unfamiliar with
9. Banking apps - my credit card and bank institutions both have really good iPhone apps where I can check balances (and other functions) on the go.
10. ESPN - guess what I use that for?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I have over 400 iPhone apps. And yet it would be easy for me to list out the best ones:

Safari. Hands down the raison d'etre for the iPhone.
Tweetie. No other twitter client is close
TomTom. I hemmed and hawed over the price, and the bluetooth integration is stupid, but it's totally worth the dough for the app AND the dock
Best Camera. Makes the crappy iphone camera usable
Shazam. Never again wonder what song you are listening to.
Mail. 15 email addresses at once is cake to handle.
The Weather Channel.
Facebook. I'm not a huge user but the app is better than the website
Drop 7 sinple fun game
Bebot. Fun with sound
Phone Flicks. Organize my netflix queue on the go.
MovieFone. Tickets waiting for me when I get there!
At Bat Lite. If you love baseball, this app rules. ESPN Sports Center is good too.
Police Radio. My new favorite, works awesome in the dock for something fun to listen to while charging.

Other games you must get:
Peggle, Scrabble, ALL the Geodefense games, Space Invaders Infinity Gene, Bookworm, FieldRunners, Dr. Awesome, Pocket God (my nephews favorite), Angry Birds, Melon Golf,

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Terrific! Thanks for the feedback on how you're using your iPhone and what you are using on them! Thanks!

Agreed on Handbrake, I've done a few movies for my iPod. It's amazing how many use Google Maps! It will be interesting if Google will continue on the iPhone considering how Apple and Google are at odds with each other now.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Au

About the update in June/July, I am not as concerned about that. And maybe I should be. But I am thinking I may wait this new iteration out for one year. If it's a totally new processor, or some other issue, I don't want to get something that might have a few bugs.
Why do you think the fourth iPhone will be a bad piece of hardware, after three good ones? Do you know something we don't?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Dave, I don't know anything. I am just thinking that my usual M.O. is to usually not buy the first iteration of a product. The new iPhone coming this June/July could be totally new inside and out. I'm sure it will be fantastic.

On the other hand, I may buy the iPad later this year when it's released.

We'll see how my circumstances go, maybe I can wait till June before joining the iPhone ranks.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Then I definitely recommend waiting on the iPhone. There's no sense buying an older model a few months out based on pessimistic and unfounded speculations of an unreleased model :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I too generally avoid "first rev" products, not just from Apple but from all PC/software manufacturers.
That said, the iPhone is a "fixed target" kind of system. I would highly doubt that even a completely new rev of the iPhone would "break" its functionality. The iPhone OS is pretty solid now, but nowhere near as complex as OSX or Windows. So any new architecture could be thoroughly beta tested on the iPhone OS for compatibility. I wouldn't be hesitant about buying new revs of a fixed target device like the iPhone/iPod.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
It would advantageous to own the current rev iPhone for me. Only for this particular job I'm doing. I need to have a physical sample to measure off of. Unless you guys know where I can get a dead one, I could use that.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
iPhone specifically. iPod Touch not close enough?

Can you borrow a friends? Buy one from AT&T, use it, then cancel the contract and pay the ETF?

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/plan-terms.jsp

If phone is returned within 30 days in like-new condition with all components, early termination fee will be waived. All other charges apply. Some dealers impose additional fees. iPhone returns will be subject to a 10% restocking fee, except where prohibited.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Dave, iPhone specifically. No one will lend me one, but I might be able to find one. And I don't plan to buy one and then return it. So I'll see how I can work through this without one.

I do still want to get an iPhone! But now I'm torn with waiting for the newest one. From the rumors I'm reading, it sounds like quite a nice upgrade from the current one. Speculation includes a much faster chip, multitasking, higher rez camera, and a mild redesign of the case.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Nelson Au /forum/thread/297884/need-help-convincing-myself-to-go-with-an-iphone#post_3658852
But, like any device like this you can always wait till next year because a newer version will be available.
So might as well not buy a iphone in 2010 or 2011 because in 2011, 2012 will have a newer upgraded iphone.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD

But, like any device like this you can always wait till next year because a newer version will be available.
So might as well not buy a iphone in 2010 or 2011 because in 2011, 2012 will have a newer upgraded iphone.
First Law of Computers: The best time to buy is always tomorrow.

More practically: with Apple there is a best and worst time to buy. The best time -- best value and longevity -- is the day of release. The worst time to buy -- worst value and longevity -- is the day before the next model revision. Obviously buying a 3GS iPhone at full price the day before the iPhone 4 is released is a bad idea. More broadly, I think that buying an iPhone when you're over halfway to the next release is not preferred, assuming you don't immediately need one.

So having decided to get an iPhone in 2010, I'm planning to buy the as soon as the next revision is available.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Nelson Au

Thanks!

PS, I forgot to add, I realize the 4G iPhone is months away with likely improved performance and a possible new design. I thought it might be better to sit out that iteration for an improved version of that one when my 2 year contract expires.
I probably should have quoted this part of Nelson's note

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I was looking for used iPhones on Craigslist. I just want to see if I can get one cheap, not necessarily working or need service for it. And it might help on my project till the 4g comes out. Used prices range from $280 without the charger and headphones to $600 still in the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks