What's new

Need help connecting TV to surround sound (1 Viewer)

b320man

Auditioning
Real Name
alex
Hey Guys, I have a Samsung UA55ES6200 55” Series 6 Slim LED TV and a Yamaha YHT-298. I recently purchased the surround sound system the TV is about 6 months old. Movies work fine through the surround sound system which the blueray dvd player is connected to but the TV will not play through the surround sound system. It's connected to the TV video HDMI which it says to do in the instructions. PLEASE HELP! Thank you :)

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by b320man
but the TV will not play through the surround sound system.
It's connected to the TV video HDMI which it says to do in the instructions.
Hi Alex,
What is the source for "TV" - is it Cable/Satellite? Is there a set top box involved, or does the coaxial cable exit straight from the wall and screw into a terminal on the back of the TV?
If you have cable/satellite and a set top box, you should run an HDMI cable from the cable/satelllite box output to an input on the Yamaha receiver. I'm guessing you probably have cable/satellite connected directly to the TV - that will work with the TVs speakers, but TVs are not designed to be the hub of a system, and will not be able to output good sound quality to your receiver.
Once you connect your cable/satellite directly to the receiver, then you simply choose that input on the receiver to watch/listen to TV.

b320man

Auditioning
Real Name
alex
I don't have cable or foxtel, I live in australia and I just plug the coaxil antenna cable right into the TV

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You need to connect the TV via toslink/digital coax(whichever on the TV has) to the Yamaha. I have no idea if both your items have ARC or not...Yamaha isn't letting me see the 298(not sold in the US). Even if both have ARC, there is no guarantee that Samsung and Yamaha CEC(which is required for the ARC) communicate.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Then you can try it. Somewhere in the set-up you'll see "Consumer Electronics Control"(AnyNet on Samsung). Find it, turn it on. Once you do that you'll find options in the TV for ARC and in the Yamaha...turn them on as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks