What's new

Need help connecting subwoofer to receiver. (1 Viewer)

SlainbytheBrain

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthew Kellar
So I just got a receiver. Obviously my first if I have to ask this question.

The back panel has a "Sub Woofer Audio Out" and my Sub Woofer has a +/- Red/Black double wire connection. So I have two wires coming from my subwoofer and a receiver that wants a plug in cord. The manual is useless in explaining how to fix this problem. It suggests a Cordon Audio cord (which I somehow miraculously had). However, this doesn't help because there is nowhere to plug it into the receiver.

Is there some sort of adapter that I will need? If not, why would anyone make a subwoofer that doesn't plug into any receiver and why would anyone make a receiver that doesn't accept any subwoofer. The mind - it boggles.

Thanks in advance.

keviinmc

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
You sure there isnt a "Line-in" RCA hookup or something of that nature on the back of your sub?

Rommel_L

Second Unit
Matthew,

If the sub is just passive, you need to buy an amp to power the sub, which in turn you can connect to your receiver...

R

SlainbytheBrain

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthew Kellar
It seems like it might be easier and cheaper to get a powered sub like the Sony SA-W2500.

Does that seem like the solution to my problem?

keviinmc

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Depends on how much you wanna spend. A decent subwoofer amp will probably cost you about $250-300 like this one:
Go to Ebay and type in NHT SA-3.

Since you seem to be on a Sony kick, you might check this out b/c you could probably grab it for decent price:
Go to Ebay again and Type in Sony N-110.

I'd link these but I'm new and havent posted enough yet.

To answer your question, overall it would probably be easier and definitely cheaper to get the Sony powered sub.

Catssdawg

Auditioning
Real Name
Carol
Does your sub woofer by any chance have +/- posts that say right & left input & output but nothing that actually powers the sub? If it is then you might try what I did w/ my 5.1 system - the speakers are bi-wired from their positions in the room to the sub's output posts then I ran the input side to the reciever. Your L/R front & rear speakers power your sub woofer & if you have more than 2 speakers (like I do) and only 4 posts running down each side you bi-splice the right wires together (making sure you put the 2 positives together & the 2 negatives together) and plug them in to the correct output post & then do the same on the left side & then get the short input wires & twist them together & run them to their respectives slots in the back of the reciever. Mine worked the 1st time & I'm a 46 yr old housewife who had never seen a home theater system & had no manual & very little electronics training(hey I figure it's a good day if I can get the computer started & find the web page I want...LOL). Hope that helps you. Good luck & godspeed.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric

Yeah, what he said. Some of the 'unpowered' subs even have L/R speaker connections so you can run the amp speaker outs to the sub (where there is a crossover) then run a line form the sub to the speakers.

IMHO this is a messy way to do it and the sub quality may not be 'up to snuff'. It would depend on your budget and tolerance for speaker wires...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just to clarify a bit. You've gotten some incomplete and even downright bad suggestions.

Most passive subs are designed as part of a whole speaker system, which is what Eric was alluding to. They usually have two sets of (L&R) speaker inputs, along with outputs which are wired on to the left and right speakers. If you don't hook them up that way you risk damaging your main speakers. If you are using a surround receiver, you set the left and right speakers to "Large" in the speaker setup and all others to "Small".

Regarding one previous suggestion. NEVER, EVER connect two sets of speakers to one output. There is a chance you will be fine, but you can also seriously damage your receiver. Speakers have resistance (impedance) that must operate within a fairly narrow range or the amps in the receiver can overheat. When you hook up two speakers to one output, you cut that resistance in half, which is the electronic equivalent of driving down a steep hill with failing brakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks