What's new

Need Guidance From Other Oppo Owners (1 Viewer)

apn73

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
Hello All,
I recently bought a BDP-103 and am loving it, glad that I took that plunge. I'm wrestling with an issue and I am wondering if others are wrestling, or have solved this issue. The BDP-103 has an adjustment for the cross-over frequency. You have to set your speakers to "small" and then it will allow you to choose your cross-over to 80 hz, 60, 100, whatever. My reciever also has an adjustment (like most modern A/V recievers) between small and large, which is an adjustment to whether you'r sending the full audio frequency range to the speakers, or 90 hz and above if you choose "small." It seems to me that the reciever is in ultimate control of the frequency range going out to the speakers, but you also seem to be able to control the frequency range going to the reciever with the Oppo. So do you set the Oppo up to "small" and whatever cross-over you want, and then set the reciever to "large"? If you set the reciever to "small", then you'll never get anything lower than 90 hz out to the speakers and the Oppo is overridden. Does this sound like the appropriate work around? Am I making any sense? Please tell me you folks have done it.
Thanks,
Adam.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
The settings in the Oppo matter ONLY if you are using the analog outputs rather than the HDMI. In that case, receiver settings have no effect. If you are using the HDMI to the receiver, then the setting in the receiver is what takes effect.

apn73

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
I'm actually using the digital coax, my receiver isn't that modern. I'm sure it's the same deal as the HDMI, because it's not analog.
Thanks,
Adam.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
If you listen to two channel stereo music you should give the analog outputs a try. OPPO's sound really nice through their stereo and multi-channel analog outputs. HDMI (or optical) isn't always better than analog :) .

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Yeah, if your receiver has the 5.1/7.1 multi-channel analog inputs (Denon calls them EXT. IN) on the back, you should definitely be using the 5.1/7.1 multi-channel analog outputs from the Oppo, into the receiver. Afterall, they are the only way, other than HDMI, to listen to the dtsHD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD soundtracks on blu ray movies.
As mentioned above, the only time the crossover and "small" settings are used by the Oppo, is when using the 5.1/7.1 multi-channel analog outputs. This is because when you're using these, the Oppo is doing the processing, and not the receiver. Enjoy.

apn73

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
Ed Moxley said:
Yeah, if your receiver has the 5.1/7.1 multi-channel analog inputs (Denon calls them EXT. IN) on the back, you should definitely be using the 5.1/7.1 multi-channel analog outputs from the Oppo, into the receiver. Afterall, they are the only way, other than HDMI, to listen to the dtsHD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD soundtracks on blu ray movies.
As mentioned above, the only time the crossover and "small" settings are used by the Oppo, is when using the 5.1/7.1 multi-channel analog outputs. This is because when you're using these, the Oppo is doing the processing, and not the receiver. Enjoy.
Thanks to all of you for your input. I've been thinking about ordering the analog cables to make the TrueHD, DVD-A and SACD functions work. The cables are about $100 coming from BJC, so little bit of a hard swallow at this point in time. That's a lot less money than a new receiver and I don't have a lot of incentitive to replace my 12 year old H/K AVR-300. I will keep working with it probably until something in it dies and Lord knows when that will be. In the meantime, can I only run the cables necessary (3, 2 front channels and 1 for the sub) to listen to two channel stereo CD's? The outputs on the back of the BDP-103 are HDMI, digital coax, digital optical and the analog surround sound, and I believe that is it. No seperate white and red anolog for two channel stereo.
Thank you,
Adam.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
No need to spend that much money on the cables. I'd get two sets of these: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10235&cs_id=1023508&p_id=960&seq=1&format=2
Five dollars is a lot less than $100, and they'll work just as well. I used these when I had a Denon DVD-2200 connected to my old receiver, and they worked wonderfully for sacd, and dvd-a. Cables are the one thing you don't have to spend a lot of money on, for outstanding results.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Use "any old set" of red/white RCA.
If you have any laying around, you can use two component video cables. And you can buy component video cables dirt cheap.
Two of these is even less money.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10235&cs_id=1023508&p_id=5352&seq=1&format=2

apn73

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
Thank you for your insights. I do have a cople of sets of component video cables kicking around, will give it try and see how it works.

Users who are viewing this thread