What's new

Need GCN game recommendations (1 Viewer)

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
I've browsed through most of the related threads I've seen, but need some specific advice from all you HTF gamers. After having my second dreamcast go bad in less than 6 months, I decided to not re-invest in that console. I picked up a GCN on launch day with WaveRace but have not opened anything yet since we are waiting for Christmas morning.

Here's the situation... The GCN is for my kids, a 9-year old girl, 7-year old boy & 4-year old boy. My 7-year old will be the primary gamer on this system, but we all have fun playing 4-player games together. In fact, on the DC we played SF Rush 2049's 4-player battle mode almost everyday until it broke and had a blast. With the $50 price tag of GCN games, we can really only afford to buy 2 before Christmas. I want to get Tony Hawk 3 for my 7-year old Tony Hawk wannabe (and, ummm... me too!), but with all the positive reviews of Super Monkey Ball, I am wondering if I should take back Wave Race and get SMB instead. My kids really like racing games, so WaveRace might fit that bill better, but SMB sounds really cool too. My son is also a huge Star Wars fan, so throw that into the mix for more confusion, and you start to see my problem.

So to narrow it down, if I can only buy two games before Christmas, one game being a choice between Tony Hawk 3 and Rogue Leader, and the second game being a choice between Wave Race and Super Monkey Ball, which two should I choose?

Luckily for me, I did pay $10 for an extended warranty on my Dreamcast through Circuit City, and they are sending me a check for my $79 back which I plan to use to buy 3 more controllers... are there any other must-have accessories?

Sorry for being so long-winded.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
If it comes down to Wave Race or Super Monkey Ball for you and your kids, definitely go with Super Monkey Ball. Wave Race: Blue Storm is a great multi-player game, but Monkey Ball is even better. And with its simpler gameplay mechanics, it might be easier for the young ones to get the hang of it.
Oh, and did I mention that SMB has a racing game in it? :)

Steven_V

Stunt Coordinator
I would suggest Super Monkey Ball over WaveRace for your kids. WaveRace may be a bit on the difficult side for younger kids. Also, as mentioned above, Super Smash Bros. will be the game to get for insane multiplayer fun! The game will be released December 3rd.
:D

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
Thanks for the replies guys... I took back WaveRace today and picked up Tony Hawk 3 on sale at Best Buy for $39.99... got the last one too!

I'm pretty sure we'll be picking up SMB next, and maybe if one or both go on sale, Rogue Leader too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks